News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"The Chair" on Netflix: True or False?

Started by no1capybara, August 31, 2021, 08:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no1capybara

Didn't see a thread started on this so I'll start one.

I read an interview with Amanda Peet that she said was aiming for "Game of Thrones" set in academia.  So I guess my expectations were a little high.  Thought it was good overall, love Sandra Oh and would watch another season of it for sure.

mythbuster

I generally enjoyed it as well. One thing that bugged me was that they were not consistent from scene to scene in terms of the weather. One scene it would  snow swathed quad, and the next they are on a totally clear street.
   If they continue it I would suggest that they branch out and include some faculty from other departments. Each has their own personality "type".

lilyb

A new conversation on The Chair also just started on the TV shows thread.

adel9216

Quote from: no1capybara on August 31, 2021, 08:39:21 AM
Didn't see a thread started on this so I'll start one.

I read an interview with Amanda Peet that she said was aiming for "Game of Thrones" set in academia.  So I guess my expectations were a little high.  Thought it was good overall, love Sandra Oh and would watch another season of it for sure.

Hahah, I was waiting for someone to start a thread on this show. I watched the first episode and liked it so far. Don't really care if it's realistic or not. :) It's entertainement!

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Ruralguy

There had been a thread actually, or it was within a thread.

I'd say it was OK. Fairly realistic other than office sizes, but Duplass was annoyingly stupid. Then again, so are some real academics.

eigen

Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

ergative

Quote from: downer on September 19, 2021, 12:31:46 PM
https://academeblog.org/2021/09/17/netflix-announces-new-series-the-adjunct-as-follow-up-to-the-chair

That's a joke, yes? You got me all excited, and I was scrolling through looking to see if it was created by the same showrunners as The Chair. But it looks like a joke, alas.

marshwiggle

Quote from: ergative on September 19, 2021, 11:00:14 PM
Quote from: downer on September 19, 2021, 12:31:46 PM
https://academeblog.org/2021/09/17/netflix-announces-new-series-the-adjunct-as-follow-up-to-the-chair

That's a joke, yes? You got me all excited, and I was scrolling through looking to see if it was created by the same showrunners as The Chair. But it looks like a joke, alas.

It would be pretty depressing if it were for real. Laughing at the drama of out of touch people in the ivory tower is one thing; watching gig workers living out of their cars (which you know they would have to include) is entirely different. And ordinary people (i.e. non-academics) would be scratching their heads about why these people choose to do this for a living.
It takes so little to be above average.

no1capybara

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 20, 2021, 03:59:42 AM

It would be pretty depressing if it were for real. Laughing at the drama of out of touch people in the ivory tower is one thing; watching gig workers living out of their cars (which you know they would have to include) is entirely different. And ordinary people (i.e. non-academics) would be scratching their heads about why these people choose to do this for a living.

That article was wonderfully written and just awful.  Who knows what changes are going to come out of this pandemic but hopefully some better working conditions for all.

ciao_yall

I watched it and was really disappointed with the ending on many levels. No spoilers, but it was pretty good up until the final episode.

little bongo

I think the professional hot mess' self-professed love of teaching kind of came out of nowhere in particular--maybe it could have been set up a little better. And the ending is slightly rom-com-ish, which wasn't the most interesting thread for the series, I don't think. I did get a kick out of who the new chair turned out to be. For what it's worth, I related most strongly to the testy Melville prof, although I have never strode the world like a colossus.

mamselle

Wouldn't the past participle be "stridden"?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative