News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Burnout in the time of Covid

Started by dr_evil, September 16, 2021, 10:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_evil

I've been really struggling lately, feeling burnt out, and I'm sure that's worse because I'm not socializing as much as before Covid. In fact, I'm a bit anxious about going out, even though I've been vaccinated, because I'm at high risk of complications. I'm trying to do what I can, continuing to workout regularly, but I'm still struggling and having a heavier than normal teaching load certainly doesn't help.

I'm hoping someone out there might have some suggestions, or just support, as there are probably many that could be helped by sharing ideas. For my ideas, the workouts help - time to be active (even if I don't enjoy it much) and time to socialize (if only remotely) with my trainer. I've found some positive TV to binge watch, one of which has encouraged me to branch out my art hobby a bit. I have a bit of trouble with motivation though. I think I only keep up the workouts because of meeting with a trainer, probably some of the best advice from my cardiologist. There are also quite a few relaxing videos on YouTube, although I worry about too much screen time.

Any others to share?

sinenomine

I won't socialize indoors at this point, but the friends with whom I'd usually go to restaurants to hang out are now getting together with me for walks. I get social time and exercise — doubly beneficial.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

If you have your own Zoom/other account, and aren't too Zoomed-out otherwise, you could try something I've done a few times.

I order take-out meals for two friends, and we eat and talk together for a couple hours, replicating the costs, meal fellowship, and interactive time we'd otherwise put towards meeting for dinner. We take turns ordering for each other, to make it reciprocal.

In fact, this has worked across time zones; I have a friend near Seattle and two across town, with whom we used to get together and cook dinner and eat it. In fact, we're due for a call soon.

I have two other friends, one local and one in TX, with whom I meet for a Monday AM check-in for a different reason: one of them is in her second month of chemo for breast CA, and we support each other around that.

I also (being at times Zoomed-out myself, from teaching 8 music lessons online each week) just book a long phone conversation with a friend as a 1-on-1 check-in; some of these are the same friends,  others are folks without Zoom or Skype, or the interest in such things.

My sibs and I also also seem to get a Zoom call together about every 3-4 months, although for me those are more dutiful than refreshing, since there are political minefields in the way of honest, open conversation...but they seem to enjoy them. Usually, my sister and brother get together for brunch at his place (20 mi. from her) and call in from there, which works for them.

Just one approach.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Caracal

Quote from: sinenomine on September 16, 2021, 10:58:10 AM
I won't socialize indoors at this point, but the friends with whom I'd usually go to restaurants to hang out are now getting together with me for walks. I get social time and exercise — doubly beneficial.

Or outside coffee, or drinks, or dinner. The risk of anything outside is pretty low. Not sure if you've talked to your doctors about your risk calculations, but if not, it might be useful to see what they think.

I don't want to second guess your risk calculations, but speaking very broadly, vaccines change the risks dramatically. You may have a higher baseline risk than some other people, but it may not make sense for you to be taking the same precautions you did before being vaccinated-especially if those precautions are having a negative effect on your life.

Obviously, that may not apply in the same way for people who are immune-compromised and I don't know anything about your health situation...

mamselle

Oh, and I go out nearly every AM for about an hour's walk along the river and old brook near me.

I'm covered head-to-toe, double-masked, and nitrile-gloved, and I leave around 6 AM and get back around 7 AM, so as to avoid too much contact with others.

There are actually many others out on the path, running, walking, or cycling, but those I know stand back and we talk briefly, at a distance--mostly about the swans, herons, ducks, and geese (and occasional turtles) that we have seen, or where to look for them, if we're going in opposite directions.

I've again filled my camera with all the pictures and videos, and need to download them, in fact...

Beautiful sights make me happy.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

research_prof

I feel the same. I have worked my ass off over the last couple of years (first years of being an assistant prof), but I cannot complain in this regard--hard work has paid off: several high quality publications and a couple of million dollars of research funding.

Unfortunately, though, a family member is facing a serious health issue. No one (not even doctors!) know what the outcome might be and it has haunted me. I can barely sleep at night. In combination with COVID, which has restricted social life, my productivity has been terrible and I can tell I am not doing well (to the point that small issues with my own health attributed to anxiety have started coming up at a very young age). At this point, I wish I was not successful in my career, but the health issue had not happened. I would definitely trade all the professional success of the world for the health of my family member.

Puget

Quote from: mamselle on September 16, 2021, 01:51:17 PM

I'm covered head-to-toe, double-masked, and nitrile-gloved, and I leave around 6 AM and get back around 7 AM, so as to avoid too much contact with others.

This is extremely unnecessary-- there is basically no evidence of transmission outdoors, and certainly gloves have not been recommended since very early in the pandemic when we didn't understand how transmission worked very well, and covering your skin has never been recommended. This sort of thing really is unnecessary for anyone and can't be good for your mental health. Understanding the science better might help you calm down about this a bit and start engaging in more normal activities.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

My mental health's fine, thanks.

Since vaccination is not an option, being careful keeps me sane (or, some friends might say, as sane as I'm likely to be)!

I've worked in hospitals and labs; precautions and PPE don't scare me.

And I have stayed healthy for the past two years now, so there's that.

M.

Caracal

Quote from: mamselle on September 16, 2021, 06:49:55 PM

Since vaccination is not an option, being careful keeps me sane (or, some friends might say, as sane as I'm likely to be)!

M.

Are you sure you can't get vaccinated? I recall you mentioning something a long time ago about a strong reaction to a smallpox vaccination, but unless that reaction was anaphylactic shock, caused by an ingredient in the covid vaccines, that probably isn't a reason to avoid vaccination.

Obviously, not trying to pry into medical details, and I hope you don't find this offensive, I really am speaking out of concern here.

The rest is tricky. To me those precautions seem excessive, but I really dislike wearing a mask. Some people don't mind. My wife likes them as face warmers in the fall and winter. I would also find it really restrictive and depressing to only go to a park early in the morning, but if that routine is fine for you, then who cares what I think.

Volhiker78

Quote from: research_prof on September 16, 2021, 05:08:49 PM
I feel the same. I have worked my ass off over the last couple of years (first years of being an assistant prof), but I cannot complain in this regard--hard work has paid off: several high quality publications and a couple of million dollars of research funding.

Unfortunately, though, a family member is facing a serious health issue. No one (not even doctors!) know what the outcome might be and it has haunted me. I can barely sleep at night. In combination with COVID, which has restricted social life, my productivity has been terrible and I can tell I am not doing well (to the point that small issues with my own health attributed to anxiety have started coming up at a very young age). At this point, I wish I was not successful in my career, but the health issue had not happened. I would definitely trade all the professional success of the world for the health of my family member.

I am sorry about your family member's health issue.  Please take care of yourself and see a doctor.  From personal experience, insomnia and anxiety has precipitated more serious depression.  Getting adequate sleep is crucial toward better mental health.  Good luck. 

Cheerful

M.

Sorry a couple posters questioned you, M.  (Same for sinenomine, whom Caracal questioned.)  Those who stand in judgment know nothing about your own situation and choices.  Your behavior on your walks hurts no one and has zero impact on posters here.  You chose to share your personal situation and did not ask for comments.  Kudos to you for doing what makes you feel most comfortable.

People should MYOB, particularly in a case like yours when what you're doing is your business and impacts no one else.

Sadly, Covid has brought out the worst in many people.  Across society, people are tired, judgmental, fearful, uninformed, and many think they know better than others.  More tolerance, compassion, and understanding all around would be nice.

EDIT: Yes, people here are trying to be helpful, not mean-spirited.

Cheerful

Quote from: research_prof on September 16, 2021, 05:08:49 PM

Sorry, research_prof, that is stressful.  Be gentle with yourself, try to take good care of yourself.  Uncertainty is challenging.  You will get through this.  Focus on one day at a time and try not to think too far ahead.  Today is real and, in this moment, things are OK.  You and loved ones are managing.

Perhaps talking with a counselor just a couple of times could give you some tips for coping and feeling better.

mamselle

Quote from: Cheerful on September 17, 2021, 08:49:58 AM

M.

Sorry a couple posters questioned you, M.  (Same for sinenomine, whom Caracal questioned.)  Those who stand in judgment know nothing about your own situation and choices.  Your behavior on your walks hurts no one and has zero impact on posters here.  You chose to share your personal situation and did not ask for comments.  Kudos to you for doing what makes you feel most comfortable.

People should MYOB, particularly in a case like yours when what you're doing is your business and impacts no one else.

Sadly, Covid has brought out the worst in many people.  Across society, people are tired, judgmental, fearful, uninformed, and many think they know better than others.  More tolerance, compassion, and understanding all around would be nice.

Thanks for your understanding.

I didn't take it as intrusive; I believe the question was asked in the interests of my overall health, and it's good that people care.

And yes, except maybe for the heron this AM who very patiently put up with me doing a short video of him (or her? how does one tell with herons?) dipping for bugs and looking around with an extended neck for the stray fish that might go by, I don't worry about having inconvenienced anyone/thing.

I wish I could attach films, he was lovely...

M.

Cheerful

Agree, Puget and Caracal meant well and weren't mean-spirited.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on September 17, 2021, 09:21:52 AM
Quote from: Cheerful on September 17, 2021, 08:49:58 AM

M.

Thanks for your understanding.

I didn't take it as intrusive; I believe the question was asked in the interests of my overall health, and it's good that people care.

And yes, except maybe for the heron this AM who very patiently put up with me doing a short video of him (or her? how does one tell with herons?) dipping for bugs and looking around with an extended neck for the stray fish that might go by, I don't worry about having inconvenienced anyone/thing.

I wish I could attach films, he was lovely...

M.

The herons I see often fly as I approach.  It makes me feel bad for scaring them.  Then again, I often see them take off from a distance, when it surely isn't a reaction to my approach.  So maybe sometimes when they seem frightened it's coincidence?  Anyway, congratulations on getting close to one long enough to be able to video.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.