News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Humanities: LOR for PhD application

Started by Wahoo Redux, November 11, 2021, 10:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Well, despite all the bad news, and our best efforts, we were unable to talk our super outstanding MA student out of applying to English PhD programs.  This is my first time writing an LoR to a graduate program for a potential student.

Thing is, this person is honestly outstanding.  Under better circumstances, I would wholeheartedly have encouraged this person to pursue the doctorate----and since I was unable to talk hu out of it, I am wholeheartedly trying to help with hu's decision. 

I had hu in a grad class a couple of semesters back and hu is truly stellar.  In the midst of a complete sinkhole of a program, I felt like I had a colleague in the class, not a student.  The class would have been a major headache without this person in the class. Hu's brain is actually a little intimidating.

Hu is only applying to programs that pay hu's way (including my wife's and my alma mater) and only places with low CoL.

It is still a bad idea, I know, but what do those of you who admit grad student look for in a reference letter?

This is an English lit PhD, BTW, but I wanted to leave it open to advice from other disciplines as well-----including STEM, business, or whatever if you have general advice.  Other perspectives in general are appreciated.

Thanks all.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

I'm not your target, but I think there's good advice here and here (for philosophy).
I know it's a genus.

Ruralguy

Also not target, but....

Present evidence that this person would succeed in their program. Certainly speaking of the outstanding nature of this individual would be of help, but also more specific about their writing and analysis? If you know of some other very successful grads from your program that anyone else in field might know of, offer a comparison.

Wahoo Redux

Thank you, folks.  Para, that is a great website and gave me some specific ideas. 

Caracal

I think the biggest thing is that you want to say and demonstrate that this is someone who understands the intellectual work involved in going to grad school in English-they aren't just someone who really likes to read books. Obviously the candidates own personal statement and writing sample should make this point, but you probably want to support that. What you say here about relating to the student as a colleague is great-that's exactly what advisors want in a grad student.

apl68

Quote from: Caracal on November 12, 2021, 06:36:57 AM
I think the biggest thing is that you want to say and demonstrate that this is someone who understands the intellectual work involved in going to grad school in English-they aren't just someone who really likes to read books. Obviously the candidates own personal statement and writing sample should make this point, but you probably want to support that. What you say here about relating to the student as a colleague is great-that's exactly what advisors want in a grad student.

It has something in common with any kind of job recommendation, in that the emphasis should be on how well the candidate is suited to the job (And a grad program is a job) being sought--what the candidate has to offer the prospective employer.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

artalot

Not your target, but I write several of  these a year for various MA, JD, Med school and PhD programs. I like to provide a specific example of the student's outstanding research - I discuss a specific paper and what was so great about it. I also (if applicable) mention their contribution to class discussion, as this is a major element of PhD study.

Wahoo Redux