News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Spring 2022 -- Moving Online?

Started by downer, December 21, 2021, 11:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

Some colleges are moving the first weeks of Spring 2022 to mostly online classes.

It's clear that any classes that are meeting in the classroom will also need to cater to lots of students who won't be in the classroom because they are quarantining.

So what will the semester as a whole look like? Is it going to be more like Spring 2021 than Fall 2021?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

marshwiggle

Just a question: Does "Spring term" in the US refer to the term starting in January? In Canada, "Spring" term usually refers to one that starts in May; "Winter" is the term for one starting in January.
It takes so little to be above average.

aside

Yes, the spring term in the US starts in January most places (if we're talking semesters rather than quarters).

My place is firmly committed to in-person classes, so we'll see.

Harlow2

We are in wait-and-see mode for now. We've had testing available this fall and I assume it will be expanded

Sun_Worshiper

At my place, faculty have been in the classroom since August 2020, although most students had the choice to Zoom in until August 2021. I highly doubt that our faculty will be teaching from home in spring 2022, but I could imagine students once again having the option to attend virtually.

clean

I dont expect that we will be online ever again.

My state is one at the extreme end of this idea, and frankly, they need to extract the money from the students for dorm fees and food service.  These activities are the primary sources of revenue for paying back certain bonds which the state has a secondary responsibility for paying... so if students dont support the payments, the state does, and that is NOT going to be permitted to happen!

I wore a mask to every class in the Fall, and I dont expect that to change this term... at least not before Spring Break.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I suspect we'll be officially moving online in late January. We got a message a week or two ago telling us that high vaccination rates meant we'd be in-person, and the dean has been pushing for no more than 20% of our courses to be online. But I suspect that'll change.

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 22, 2021, 04:43:50 AM
Just a question: Does "Spring term" in the US refer to the term starting in January? In Canada, "Spring" term usually refers to one that starts in May; "Winter" is the term for one starting in January.

Weirdly, the lower mainland on the other coast also uses 'spring' instead of 'winter'. I don't think I'll ever adjust to it.
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 22, 2021, 10:06:25 AM
I suspect we'll be officially moving online in late January. We got a message a week or two ago telling us that high vaccination rates meant we'd be in-person, and the dean has been pushing for no more than 20% of our courses to be online. But I suspect that'll change.

Quote from: marshwiggle on December 22, 2021, 04:43:50 AM

Weirdly, the lower mainland on the other coast also uses 'spring' instead of 'winter'. I don't think I'll ever adjust to it.

I can't really understand it. Since winter goes from December until most of the way through March, there's only a small fraction of that term in "spring". The majority is clearly in winter.
It takes so little to be above average.

sinenomine

We're in a wait and see mode, with classes starting on January 18. I'm on the committee that makes the recommendations, so at least I'll have a bit of a heads-up if we do go fully online.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Ruralguy

We won't go online again and my state will never lock down again.
It will be like fall 2021, maybe with more quarantining,

Morden

We (most post-secondary institutions in the province) are now online until 3rd week of January at the earliest.

Antiphon1

Our state will never shut down or be online again.  Quarantines and testing will only happen if required by the NCAA.  We're rolling as if there is no virus. 

Parasaurolophus

I just got an email confirming that we're proceeding in-person January 5.

I don't believe it, but I'm off for the semester so shrug.
I know it's a genus.

AmLitHist

Spring at my CC has the mix of online, F2F, and live virtual lecture (Teams/Zoom) classes similar to this past fall. The LVLs and onlines are nearly all filled at all 4 campuses. The F2Fs are lagging far behind; my campus and another are notoriously late in registering, so latecomers will be forced into the F2F sections.

This, despite Admin's insistence that our students don't want to be online or LVL.

(I've been seeing much better student success in my online and LVL sections over these past 3 pandemic semesters than I usually saw in my F2F classes, and colleagues report similar. I've even come to really enjoy teaching the LVL classes, which surprised me.)