News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

good questions for the NSF PD

Started by Vid, January 21, 2022, 08:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vid

Folks,

I am going to meet the NSF PD next week to discuss my declined proposal (standard proposal). I got VG/, VG/G, VG/G. What are some great questions that I can ask the PD to understand more about the panel environment and how the proposal was received?

Thank you. 
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

doc700

This wouldn't be a question about your specific proposal, but I have always asked if I could contribute to their program as a reviewer.  For each of the programs I received funding from, I had first served as a reviewer.  I didn't learn a lot as a mail in reviewer for DOE as I just submitted my comments but it was a chance to make a connection with a PO who funded me later.  For NSF, I sat on a panel and learned a lot from the discussion/process.  If you haven't done that I would highly recommend, both to build the relationship with the PO and to learn yourself.   

mleok

The panel summary should provide you with the information you need for why you were declined. Unless you're submitting to the entirely wrong program, there is not much that a program director is going to add to this information. Ultimately, a good proposal answers two questions: why anybody else should care about the work you're proposing, and why you're the right person to do it. Usually, beginning grant writers do a good job of the latter, because their proposals are a linear progression from what they've done to what they propose to do, but they often fail to connect their work to the broader context of their field and why it is important.

quasihumanist

Yes - do serve on a panel at some point.

Unfortunately, what I learned from my panel experiences was that none of the research I'm the right person to do is exciting enough to actually be funded in the current funding environment.

Mleok is right about what it takes to get funded.  I'm not sure that panel summaries are all that meaningful to someone who hasn't read a few of them and hasn't served on a panel, because some words are used to imply certain ideas in ways that might not be clear to someone not experienced at reading them.  Panel summaries are coded just like recommendation letters are coded (though it's not the same code).

Vid

Thank you folks. Yes, I serve on his panel and as a reviewer. I actually got 2 grants from his program only. very nice PD, I like him, a real gentleman!

I was told in a training workshop years ago that one of the good questions that you can ask the PD is " was there any enthusiasm in the panel?". I just wanted to share with other folks seeking some good questions.
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

fizzycist

It's NSF. The panels change constantly and you are likely to get three entirely new reviewers next submission. Heck you might even get a different PO.

I don't think there are any great questions to ask that will help you improve your proposal. Talking with the PO won't hurt, and anyway won't take much time, but also fine to just revise and resubmit and move on to the next proposal.

mleok

Quote from: Vid on January 22, 2022, 08:54:26 PMI was told in a training workshop years ago that one of the good questions that you can ask the PD is " was there any enthusiasm in the panel?". I just wanted to share with other folks seeking some good questions.

Panel summaries are supposed to indicate if there is enthusiasm for the proposal. But, as fizzycist mentions, NSF panels change substantially from year to year, so there is a danger to tailoring your resubmission too narrowly to the panel and review comments. Having served on many panels, even one individual panelist can dramatically change the panel dynamics.