News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What is a "working group"?

Started by ggplot2, February 10, 2022, 05:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggplot2

I was recently invited to join a working group at my university and am inclined to join, but I don't really know what a working group is. It seems that many working groups are interdisciplinary, may or may not have the ability to influence university policy, and vary wildly by size. They sound like a cross between a club, a committee, and a brown bag.

Can anyone share their experiences with working groups at their institution?

rxprof

I've seen "working group" used in two distinct ways (although there may be others). In one context, it is a small group of people (e.g., 8-10 faculty) who are charged with making significant progress on a defined issue in a relatively short period of time. There is an expectation of frequent meetings (e.g., at least weekly) and high engagement from the members of the working group. In another context, I have seen working group to mean a space for interdisciplinary faculty to provide feedback on research projects at various stages of completion (i.e. the work is giving feedback during one hour meetings that are periodically scheduled during the year).

Overall, I enjoy participating in both types of working groups as they have included motivated individuals working towards a common goal. I imagine this varies by working group/institution though.

sinenomine

At my school a working group is pretty much synonymous with a task force — a group of appointed or volunteer folks brought together to achieve an outcome. Some I've been on convene for a month, and some for as long as a number of years, depending on the deliverable.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Ruralguy

I think you are going to have to just ask because our experiences vary so widely with "working groups."