News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

terminal cancer

Started by Brego, May 20, 2022, 04:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

Quote from: Hegemony on August 24, 2022, 12:38:48 PM

I'm so sorry about the ICU — that sounds scary and stressful. I know this must be a nightmare on every possible level. You have a passel of people out here in internet land wishing you strength and peace.

+1

mamselle

QuoteQuote from: Brego on Today at 14:06:30

More than one person in my department has implied that taking another extension will have a negative effect on my tenure case.  They are trying to dissuade me from doing it.  I'm legally entitled to another extension.  If I take another year, how can my use it against me?  I'm guessing they would claim there are other grounds to deny me tenure, whatever those might be.

Those people are not thinking clearly about the overwhelming chance that you would win the lawsuit which all your friends and supporters would urge you to file. If anyone in university administration is thinking clearly, they will know not to touch this issue with a ten-foot pole, and they will let you sail on through to tenure as you are entitled to.

Agree.

Don't let the idiots get you down.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Best of luck, Brego.  That is terrible.  You have awful colleagues. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Morden

I am very sorry that your spouse is in the ICU. At this point you need to focus on taking care of your spouse and yourself. If people are bringing up what might happen in your tenure case if you do this or don't do that, they are inhumane. Ignore them as much as you can for now (of course, if they are so foolhardy as to put these thoughts in written form, save the messages for much later in case you need them). But for right now focus on what is important.

Brego

Thanks as always, Hegemony. 

My lawyer has a long and successful track record in civil litigation.  I'm prepared, if it comes to that.

poiuy

Hi Brego:
I am so sorry you are going through these bleak times and I wish you and your partner a peaceful journey and as soft a landing as possible.

Your colleagues seem to lack basic decency, and also lack common sense if they will give you a hard time for leave that you are legally entitled to.  Document all their ass-hattery to deploy as needed (one more thing on the to-do list, alas).  I am glad that you have a competent lawyer willing to represent you (many won't take you if your case is not strong). 

Dare we hope that your Chair, Dean, and other key players are less inhumane / have a better grasp of the situation?

All the very best through these days,

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.