Main Menu

Academic side job ideas

Started by research_prof, July 15, 2022, 04:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mleok on July 19, 2022, 10:55:11 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 19, 2022, 09:43:53 AM
Quote from: Ruralguy on July 19, 2022, 06:06:54 AM
He has a new job at an R1. I think overloading in his first semester (or likely first few years) would probably be a mistake. It may or may not send the wrong signals, but it could, or it could just be a time suck. RP, I think time may end up being more valuable than money for you now, unless you need it to survive (or help someone else, such a loved one survive).

Sure, but whatever side hustle he does is going to be a time suck.

Many (most?) R1 faculty do not value teaching, and overemphasizing it can create a negative impression of his fit and motivation.

I don't agree with the bolded. At my R1, people value teaching, it is just that we have to balance our time because research is also important. But yes op must be careful about sending a signal that he is prioritizing extra money over valuable research time so early on the tenure track (which is essentially what I said above).

That said, I have often been approached by my department to do extra teaching, even when I was in my first years as an assistant. I would reject these offers because I wanted to focus on research, but they were there, so op may find that some opportunities come his way.

pgher

Quote from: jimbogumbo on July 19, 2022, 09:37:13 AM
ditto to mleok.

JUST DO YOUR RESEARCH, AND ADVISE STUDENTS!

That is all.

The job of an assistant professor is to get tenure. Nothing else matters. If you do all the things to make tenure (the right way--get grants, publish papers, graduate students, teach adequately), the money and accolades will follow. The best way to make money on the side, at least in STEM, is consulting, which requires a track record.

I am currently doing expert witness work that, even at this later stage in my career, will total about two months' salary extra. It requires someone who was a person of ordinary skill in the art in 2013. Establishing expertise takes time.

mleok

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 19, 2022, 05:28:10 PMI don't agree with the bolded. At my R1, people value teaching, it is just that we have to balance our time because research is also important. But yes op must be careful about sending a signal that he is prioritizing extra money over valuable research time so early on the tenure track (which is essentially what I said above).

That said, I have often been approached by my department to do extra teaching, even when I was in my first years as an assistant. I would reject these offers because I wanted to focus on research, but they were there, so op may find that some opportunities come his way.

Fair enough, this clearly depends on the specific department culture and specific R1. We would never think of offering a new assistant professor an overload during the academic year, although we do send an email to all the faculty advertising summer teaching opportunities. Since faculty are allowed to draw their startup funds as summer salary, there is no real reason for a new assistant professor to do extra teaching for income.

Ruralguy

My undergraduate R1 , from memory, was more like you are speaking about Mleok, and my graduate school R1 was more like what Sun_Worshipper speaks of. At the time at least, the graduate school R1 was well below the undergrad R1 in rankings of just about anything, though they are now considerably more competitive. Of course, I am saying all of this both from long ago memories, and the perspective of a student gaining info where he could from profs willing to give it, which was only a few of them, especially as an undergrad.

mleok

Quote from: Ruralguy on July 20, 2022, 10:02:25 AM
My undergraduate R1 , from memory, was more like you are speaking about Mleok, and my graduate school R1 was more like what Sun_Worshipper speaks of. At the time at least, the graduate school R1 was well below the undergrad R1 in rankings of just about anything, though they are now considerably more competitive. Of course, I am saying all of this both from long ago memories, and the perspective of a student gaining info where he could from profs willing to give it, which was only a few of them, especially as an undergrad.

There are 146 R1 universities, so clearly the range of cultures is quite different. In my field, the departments at R1 span #1 to #176 (and possibly further).