News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Benefits of Longevity?

Started by Juvenal, September 08, 2022, 04:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

From the tag at the end of my post, you will see "septuagenarian."  Truth, that.  And the clock will roll over again next week, as I edge closer to "octo-"

Received a letter from my professional association (it's STEM) that because I've been a steady member for fifty years (!) I will have a complimentary membership from now to the grave.  Whenever that might be.  If my genes/health were those of QE II, it might be nearly two decades of their potential carrying me along.  On the other hand, what news from Balmoral?  Still, if I make it as long as her Maj did, my executors will have a ton of the weekly journal accumulation to send to recycling.

Anyone else ever got such a freebie for not dying and then regularly sending in a membership fee, for decades, each year?  Of course, I suspect that a lot of you are young(ish) sprouts with years to lay down academic sediment.

Cranky septuagenarian

clean

In these inflation days, I am reminded of this quote,

"Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular".

I suspect that there are a lot of benefits to not being dead! 
Though I hear that Youth is Wasted on the Young.  Enjoy every day that you can, however you can, because you wont be getting any younger!

Congrats on still seeing the daises from the top down, rather than the bottom up!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Volhiker78

Our society cuts the membership fee by 50% at age 65.  I don't think longevity as a member gets any reduction in terms of fees.  They do keep tabs of consecutive membership.  At the Annual Meetings in 2019 before the Pandemic, I noticed a purple star on my badge.  I asked what that was for and they indicated it was for people with >=40 years as a member.  I'm old but would rather not have that fact broadcast by my badge. I removed the star myself and asked in an evaluation of the meeting that my years as a member not be shown in future meetings. I noticed at this year's meeting, those stars were not present.

Congrats on being a 50 year member of your Society.  Hope your benefit gives you many years of free membership!