News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Backstory on Opportunity You Didn't Get?

Started by financeguy, March 21, 2023, 01:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

financeguy

I just found out why I didn't get something over a decade ago. It turns out there was a romantic partner of one of the decision makers that got the opportunity. Person is no longer even involved in something related to the role. I'm not upset since I got something better that would not have happened if this opportunity would have solidified but it is wild to see the actual backstory of why you did not get something. I've gotten the inside scoop a few times and every single one of them was something totally beyond control.

Wahoo Redux

That's wild, dude.  Not surprising.  How did you find out?   If you are able to say, that is.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Ruralguy

I wouldnt necessarily believe all such stories.

financeguy

An acquaintance who knew the parties involved mentioned the circumstances in passing without even knowing I was up for something when one of the parties joined the institution. Apparently, they met at a conference and even though this person wasn't really a fit for the role I was up for, strings were pulled to "make it fit" since the person already there had been looking to leave due to the dismal dating situation and distance from family. The relationship ended amicably after around a year. Both left the institution, one for a different academic opportunity and the other for something else entirely.

waterboy

I found out pretty quickly (months) after I didn't get an offer that one of the main players had their post-doc grab the position. I should not have been (and was not) the least bit surprised as I happened to see the list of who got invited to interview.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

apl68

Quote from: financeguy on March 22, 2023, 12:17:59 AM
An acquaintance who knew the parties involved mentioned the circumstances in passing without even knowing I was up for something when one of the parties joined the institution. Apparently, they met at a conference and even though this person wasn't really a fit for the role I was up for, strings were pulled to "make it fit" since the person already there had been looking to leave due to the dismal dating situation and distance from family. The relationship ended amicably after around a year. Both left the institution, one for a different academic opportunity and the other for something else entirely.

Sounds like an amorous department.

Like Ruralguy said, such stories aren't always reliable.  And then again, when it comes to academic departments I've learned that few things are completely implausible either....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Ruralguy

Also, sometimes people have some of the facts right, such as the fact that they were a couple, but not necessarily in the proper chronological order.
For instance, the person who got the job may have been coupled with the SCC *after* he/she got the job through fair selection.

I once heard some ridiculous thing like Professor X only got the recognition she got because she "slept with everyone on the commtitee."
Well, it was a large committee of about a dozen people of at least two different genders. It turned out that two of the men were known
acquaintances of hers in grad school, so I suppose someone figured or knew that they were former boyfriends, but even if they had been,
it was decades in the past.