University at Buffalo instructor E.6 salary?

Started by James, April 26, 2023, 03:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Can anyone figure out the salary for an instructor at the University at Buffalo, salary grade E.6? A document from the university's web site says that, as of 2021, instructor's salary is $46k-88k. I'm guessing that the more specific E.6 grade designation will give a more precise number within that rather wide range. Their web site info breaks salaries down by rank, but I don't find any breakdown by grade within the ranks.

Caracal

Quote from: James on April 26, 2023, 03:19:10 AM
Can anyone figure out the salary for an instructor at the University at Buffalo, salary grade E.6? A document from the university's web site says that, as of 2021, instructor's salary is $46k-88k. I'm guessing that the more specific E.6 grade designation will give a more precise number within that rather wide range. Their web site info breaks salaries down by rank, but I don't find any breakdown by grade within the ranks.

Do you have a sense of what that designation entails. If you do, you could just look up individual instructors in the relevant department and see if you can find people who seem to match based on CV. Even if you can't pin down the exact number you should be able to get a much narrower range.

James

I had found a link that apparently publishes salaries (open payroll dot something), but it said I didn't have the credentials to access the info. Do you have some link in mind?

Caracal

Quote from: James on April 26, 2023, 05:46:30 AM
I had found a link that apparently publishes salaries (open payroll dot something), but it said I didn't have the credentials to access the info. Do you have some link in mind?

You can try this one.
https://seethroughny.net/payrolls

If you search by names you should be able to look up individuals.

James

Thanks, that's a very useful resource.. This does still look like rather a challenge. If anyone knows where the steps within a pay grade are listed, I'd still appreciate that.

jerseyjay

Could you email the faculty union and either ask them, or request a copy of the salary table?

James

I didn't think of that, but apparently for a university that publishes everyone's salary (which I didn't expect), it wouldn't be weird.

Harlow2

our state's (not NY) ranges and steps are available on the bargaining unit website.  Since Buffalo is part of the SUNY system, this might be useful: https://www.suny.edu/hr/compensation/salary/
It doesn't contain the designation you are asking about but might help.

James

yeah, it's that E.6 step that's hard to figure out. There's such a wide range of possibility otherwise.

jerseyjay

I have to admit I am still not sure what you are trying to figure out. The salary of an actual person? The salary of a hypothetical person? The salary range of a group of people? (Another question is why you are doing this, but that's another question.)

Are you trying to find out what a current professor is earning, or are you trying to find out what salary somebody might get if you are hired at a particular rank?

If it is the first, I think that Caracal's link should work. (I was able to use it to look up some random NY professors I know.)

If it is the second, I think that the best you are going to get is a range, and then it would probably come down to negotiation for the exact amount. But a letter offering a job usually gives the salary.

James

I'm trying to find out the salary for the rank of instructor E.6. Not any particular person, just that rank and step's salary.