News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Student and Postdoc walkout

Started by Kron3007, May 03, 2023, 03:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kron3007

Interesting to see students and postdocs here walking out to push for higher wages.  Would love to see the government actually listen.  I remember pushing for this when I was a grad student here, and the scholarships have almost remained the same as then, about 15 years ago....

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-01453-8

Kron3007

Also, for the non-Canadian readers, it is also worth noting that tuition wavers are rare here, so most grad students pay about 10k CAD in tuition and fees out of their stipend.  I started a PhD in the US, and while the stipend was not that much better, there was no tuition and the cost of living was much lower.  I was RICH!

marshwiggle

Was the funding mentioned in the article NSERCs and SHERCs? It wasn't mentioned so I couldn't tell.
It takes so little to be above average.

Kron3007

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 03, 2023, 05:05:21 AM
Was the funding mentioned in the article NSERCs and SHERCs? It wasn't mentioned so I couldn't tell.

I am only really familiar with NSERC, but the numbers match up.  I would assume they are the same across all three agencies, but don't know for sure.

MarathonRunner

The tri-agencies. So CIHR, NSERC, and SSHRC.

Not to mention, most Canadian grad students don't win tri-agency scholarships, so they receive even less funding. My Canadian university only guarantees $20,000 Cdn/year for PhD students, and you have to deduct tuition and fees from that.

Also, tri-agency funding seems very biased. My first application I had one reviewer rate me highly and one rated me poorly, mainly because my supervisor had yet to graduate a PhD student (so I guess no one should ever agree to be among a prof's first handful of PhD students?) The following year, my application hadn't changed, and I was highly rated by both reviewers and secured a doctoral award. Seems like a broken system that is subject to the reviewers' personal biases and whims. I also noted that students with "hot" areas of research were funded more often than those with important research topics, but their research wasn't the "hot" thing at the moment.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Kron3007 on May 03, 2023, 05:27:01 AM

I am only really familiar with NSERC, but the numbers match up.  I would assume they are the same across all three agencies, but don't know for sure.

I can confirm it's $45k for SSHRC.

Also, just a few years ago the stipend in my department was $19.5k. from which we paid tuition, of course
I know it's a genus.