here we go again (another race faker in academia)

Started by bacardiandlime, May 04, 2023, 02:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 09, 2023, 08:57:10 PM
My brother took the test.   We have the same parents.  If I had the same company test me, what should happen?

I'd be worried if my brother didn't have my essential genetic makeup.  It might be time to have a conversation with mom...
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

namazu

My brother took the test.   We have the same parents.  If I had the same company test me, what should happen?
Something roughly similar, but probably not identical.  You will have inherited some genetic material from each of your parents that your brother did not, and vice-versa.  Sometimes this yields slightly different ethnicity estimates by major genetic heritage companies (which compare a number of markers that they find in reference populations of different backgrounds), though generally you would not expect grossly different results.

Caracal

Quote from: namazu on May 09, 2023, 09:57:53 PM
Something roughly similar, but probably not identical.  You will have inherited some genetic material from each of your parents that your brother did not, and vice-versa.  Sometimes this yields slightly different ethnicity estimates by major genetic heritage companies (which compare a number of markers that they find in reference populations of different backgrounds), though generally you would not expect grossly different results.

Yeah, my brother and I did both do it at different times so I can compare. There are slight differences in the percentages. He is listed as having a small amount of trace ancestry from south Asia that isn't on my profile. I apparently didn't inherit whatever piece of genetic material is linked with that conclusion.

Anselm

One half sister was tested to be an actual half sister.  One half brother of mine was shown to be a full brother when he is not one.  However, the tests are amazing and accurate just by the way they match up people who are known to be actual relatives to a high degree of confidence.  Sometimes the companies update the ethnic ancestry estimates based on new research. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

poiuy

Native American tribes do not accept DNA test results alone to accord tribal membership - there has to be a known or verified connection to a member. 
https://www.bia.gov/guide/tracing-american-indian-and-alaska-native-aian-ancestry
Didn't many of us learn that from Elizabeth Warren?

I think this faculty member had a tenuous family history of Native American connection, that was not verified or verifiable. But she leveraged that for professional traction, and then got ahead of any negative fallout if/when the lack of verification became known.  She could or should have been more candid about her lack of verification earlier, but didn't apparently. 

MarathonRunner

So I'm Métis. My mom is Métis. My maternal grandfather in Métis and spoke Cree. I can trace my family tree and I definitely have Indigenous / First Nations ancestors. Neither my mom or myself learned Cree. While I've endeavoured to learn more of my ancestry (and was the only one defending the Métis in grade 8 history class), I don't apply for indigenous-only things. I am Métis, so I identify that way, but have never applied for Indigenous scholarships, awards, etc, probably because we moved away from my Métis community when I was 8, so my only connection was through storied (hence defending the Métis in history class) without other forms of interaction (although I am saddened by what I've lost).

poiuy

Quote from: MarathonRunner on May 17, 2023, 11:27:30 AM
So I'm Métis. My mom is Métis. My maternal grandfather in Métis and spoke Cree. I can trace my family tree and I definitely have Indigenous / First Nations ancestors. Neither my mom or myself learned Cree. While I've endeavoured to learn more of my ancestry (and was the only one defending the Métis in grade 8 history class), I don't apply for indigenous-only things. I am Métis, so I identify that way, but have never applied for Indigenous scholarships, awards, etc, probably because we moved away from my Métis community when I was 8, so my only connection was through storied (hence defending the Métis in history class) without other forms of interaction (although I am saddened by what I've lost).

Can you revive the connection?  Learn Cree?  Get involved in any communities or activities or volunteering or mentoring?

Ruralguy

yes, forgetting the DEI stuff for a moment, it does seems like it could potentially interesting to explore these roots and potentially re-involve yourself, but I could definitely see why you might not want to.