News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Merit Award and Pay Raise

Started by sambaprof, May 17, 2023, 03:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mleok

It would be helpful to know two pieces of contextual information, one is the total faculty size of the university, and the other is whether there are regular cost-of-living adjustments. If there aren't regular cost-of-living adjustments, then this merit raise pool could be consumed by efforts to prevent salary inversions, like I mentioned before.

Ruralguy

Naturally, from the way many us are brought up in the system, we seek external validation constantly and consistently.

Though I am not opposed to the granting of awards, I am generally highly suspicious of giving of awards that can't be cited publicly, such as merit pay, especially if they don't *really* award merit.

I suggest more people seek internal validation, and more schools focus on giving the type of award that can be divulged publicly and proudly.

Hegemony

I think I'll take a raise over internal validation.

Ruralguy

The point is that chasing after a Dean because you only got 2000 extra bucks instead of 4000 is not worth it. Maybe its about the money, maybe its just about extorting validation.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Ruralguy on May 24, 2023, 04:31:22 AM
The point is that chasing after a Dean because you only got 2000 extra bucks instead of 4000 is not worth it. Maybe its about the money, maybe its just about extorting validation.

What a wonderfully ironic phrase.
It takes so little to be above average.

Ruralguy

Within my word salad there occasionally  is embedded poetry.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Ruralguy on May 24, 2023, 06:56:01 AM
Within my word salad there occasionally  is embedded poetry.

Take THAT, ChatGPT!
It takes so little to be above average.

Ruralguy

I think you can probably train Chat GPT to act like an aging rambling professor who occasionally might come up with some amusing word play.

Hegemony

I agree that chasing after the dean is probably not going to be productive. But for some of us, $2000 would be a significant proportion of our salary.

Ruralguy

...and it is for me as well. The money isn't the point because if the money were freely available with no strings, everyone would take it. Its just an issue of when to stop obsessing and which competitions for the money are worth your time.

sambaprof

Quote from: mleok on May 23, 2023, 01:43:49 AM
It would be helpful to know two pieces of contextual information, one is the total faculty size of the university, and the other is whether there are regular cost-of-living adjustments. If there aren't regular cost-of-living adjustments, then this merit raise pool could be consumed by efforts to prevent salary inversions, like I mentioned before.

I am not sure about the total bargaining unit faculty size of the University...

This is not cost-of-living adjustments... That is dealt separately and we received that across the board cost of living adjustment raise last August 2022...

Dismal

It is doubtful that the Dean is assessing and ranking faculty in terms of teaching, service, research. Instead, the OP should look at who is doing the assessing. In my department, the merit review does it but in my previous department it was done solely by department head. Learn the rubrics or strategy used by that person or committee.