News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Software for academic advising

Started by fizzycist, May 29, 2023, 10:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fizzycist

Is anyone familiar with software used to streamline academic advising? I am thinking specifically for web software to track students in our PhD program, which has lots of little requirements and rules, semester check-ins, annual evaluations, sources of stipend support, etc.

Currently done by an overworked admin + faculty advisement committee through scattered spreadsheets and emails and docs on their local computer. Lots of mistakes made and the admin is leaving soon anyway.

About 150 students across 2 PhD programs within my dept. If it exists, probably a pretty niche product?

ciao_yall

Quote from: fizzycist on May 29, 2023, 10:00:35 AM
Is anyone familiar with software used to streamline academic advising? I am thinking specifically for web software to track students in our PhD program, which has lots of little requirements and rules, semester check-ins, annual evaluations, sources of stipend support, etc.

Currently done by an overworked admin + faculty advisement committee through scattered spreadsheets and emails and docs on their local computer. Lots of mistakes made and the admin is leaving soon anyway.

About 150 students across 2 PhD programs within my dept. If it exists, probably a pretty niche product?

Yes. There are tools out there that track progress to degree, education plans, that sort of thing. Does your undergrad office already have something in place?

fizzycist

Should have asked in original post: if you are familiar
do you have any recommendations for software you have used for academic advising in a PhD program that you like?

I was hoping to buy something self-managed and customizable for our PhD programs if such a thing exists.

secundem_artem

WE use Starfish for undergrad advising  Not sure how useful it will be for PhD's but for undergrads, it's quite useful.  Record keeping, advising notes, courses/grades, ability to make an appointment with advisors,  all i 1 place.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

artalot

We use something called Self-Service for undergrads. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's supposed to be customizable to degree programs, but it doesn't deal well with humanities degrees that have a more open curriculum. It likes everything to be scripted, so because my program allows for electives in specific areas (think any course in Asian History, any course in African History, etc), I end up having to email back and forth with the advising office to redistribute courses. It does have a way to clear someone for registration after they've met with an adviser, as well as a place to leave notes. It's robust in that I can see a lot - transfer credits, progress to degree, etc. But I haven't seen that it tracks stipends/financial aid or annual reviews, though you might be able to add those tabs.