PhD program that double-counts Master's degree credits?

Started by Aster, July 22, 2023, 06:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruralguy

Yes, some double counting is inevitable, in fact, I am not sure I did very much course work at all after I finished what would have been considered to be "Masters requirements." I'd have to look at my transcript, but I don't recall more than a couple of courses after I passed quals, but I may have been overloading pre qualifying exam.

kaysixteen

Hmmm... I got an MA at Univ A, full two years complete with thesis.   Then two years later I enrolled in PhD program at Univ. B, and IIRC all the credits from MA at A were accepted, though it seems like I needed to get about 70 credits total, including the transferred MA ones, to get to ABD status (cannot really recall exactly).   Why would this sort of thing be wrong, and what would be the motivation for requiring such a student to start from scratch at Univ. B?

MarathonRunner

Almost every PhD program in my field, in Canada,requires a masters to even be able to apply for PhD programs. Toronto being the exception. Most research-based masters programs let "outstanding" students transfer to the PhD without having finished the masters.

I have a masters, with two years of coursework, plus research project, from one university. My PhD is from another university, which had one full year of coursework, plus comps, plus dissertation. Funding provided for four years, which is what they expect students to finish in. In reality, most take 5 or 6. I took just short of five years, due to global pandemic etc and sadly my university did not extend funding due to the pandemic (other unis did).

All PhD students at my Canadian uni were guaranteed a certain amount of funding for four years. There was no self-funding. If the program couldn't guarantee that minimum funding for the four years, you simply wouldn't be admitted.

Mobius

The coursework for an MA and Ph.D. at my doctoral institution were identical. Only difference in hours were dissertation hours.