News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2014 Tenure Track Cohort

Started by egilson, July 19, 2019, 11:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Strong good positive happy-jumping thoughts!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vhagar

In our department, the whole process is very quiet and weirdly behind closed doors. My department head told me that I have passed the department and moved to the college -- but she actually wasn't supposed to tell me even that. I have no idea how positive or negative the discussion was and I (likely) never will. But, good to know I'm passed the first hurdle.

darkstarrynight

emprof

Congrats to you both on passing the department vote!

My file is due next month (votes in Jan-Feb) and I just got word my article was accepted! Pending some revisions, but still, great news.

darkstarrynight

Yahoo, emprof! I got a copy of my department chair's letter to the dean this morning, and shared with a colleague who has been a wonderful supporter of me. She stopped by my classroom this morning just to give me a high five before class started! That was nice!

TarHawk

Hey all. Just re-upping the thread. I learned early this semester that my dean recommended me for tenure and promotion, so my case is now in the hands of the campus committee and provost. Meanwhile I look for signs. Those hits on my research and "about me" sections of my website: Are they signs the committee is weighing my case? Limbo is a strange place. Can anyone relate?

Cheerful

Quote from: TarHawk on February 14, 2020, 08:04:10 AM
Hey all. Just re-upping the thread. I learned early this semester that my dean recommended me for tenure and promotion, so my case is now in the hands of the campus committee and provost. Meanwhile I look for signs. Those hits on my research and "about me" sections of my website: Are they signs the committee is weighing my case? Limbo is a strange place. Can anyone relate?

Congrats on so far, so good in the process!

Is there a chair of your tenure committee and/or a chair of your dept.?  Those people should be able to tell you when your case is up for review by the university committee and when a vote is likely.

AJ_Katz

I was told that the biggest decision was the department's and that most other decisions up the chain were unlikely to disagree with the department's decision...  however, three senior faculty member from different departments, and on different occasions, warned me that it's not official until it was signed off at the very top and that sometimes denials occur as a byproduct of political fallout (ex. new big wig administrator wanting to increase tenure standards).

Sending you positive vibes, TarHawk!!  Now is a good time to reflect and start thinking about what the next phase of your career might look like in comparison.

drpepper

Thinking of those of you who are, like me, still waiting on decisions. Our process is really transparent and per the calendar, I am supposed to receive the University-level committee decision tomorrow (Department and College were a thumbs-up). After tomorrow comes formal notification from the president in about a month. It's rare that things change as they go up the committee structure at my institution, but it's not over till it's over.

I have really appreciated having formal notification dates -- I think about the process around those dates, but not much outside of that. Since the last time I posted my sabbatical for next year was also approved, so that is a good sign.

darkstarrynight

Hi Colleagues! Last week I received my letter from our council of deans which was a great relief. I also received my annual review from my department which showed "exceeded expectations" in all categories. I am feeling great, but will not hear from the provost until mid-March. At that point, it is pretty much a done deal, but still requires approval from our president and board of regents. The public announcement to campus occurs in April, so I cannot publicize anything until then. However, unanimous votes at the department, college, and council of deans levels are solid enough for me! I have not been promoted at work since I was a student worker in college, so the promotion part of this is just as cool as the tenure part for me!

emprof

Hi all! My file received unanimous support at the Department level, and the letters were very nice. It's now with the College committee, where I'm told the "strong and unanimous" cases receive little attention. Fingers crossed for good news from them and the dean next month. The dean is new this year, so nobody knows what he'll do!

Phydeaux

I have positive letters from the department P&T committee and chair, and I hear through the grapevine that I have nothing to worry about with the college committee. So far, so good!

darkstarrynight

I received my letter from the Provost today and am officially promoted and tenured, woohoo! I am celebrating with a topo chico and making a delicious dinner.

mamselle

Yea!! Good for your!

We need a pool party.

Starting here, now....

http://thefora.org/index.php?topic=1132.0

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AJ_Katz

Quote from: emprof on February 25, 2020, 10:40:27 PM
Hi all! My file received unanimous support at the Department level, and the letters were very nice. It's now with the College committee, where I'm told the "strong and unanimous" cases receive little attention. Fingers crossed for good news from them and the dean next month. The dean is new this year, so nobody knows what he'll do!

Sending positive vibes, emprof!  That's great news!

Quote from: Phydeaux on February 26, 2020, 01:14:02 PM
I have positive letters from the department P&T committee and chair, and I hear through the grapevine that I have nothing to worry about with the college committee. So far, so good!

That is excellent news too, Phydeaux! 

Quote from: darkstarrynight on March 10, 2020, 03:40:53 PM
I received my letter from the Provost today and am officially promoted and tenured, woohoo! I am celebrating with a topo chico and making a delicious dinner.

Congratulations, dsn!!  :D   Time to start dreaming about what the next 4-5 years will look like and making a game plan about how to get to the next level.