News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

2014 Tenure Track Cohort

Started by egilson, July 19, 2019, 11:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drpepper

I'm glad to see that others are continuing to get good news! I received formal notification from the President last week, so my tenure and promotion is effective with the new academic year. It has felt kind of anticlimactic with all the coronavirus stuff going on -- I had a couple days to move all of my courses online -- but eventually, I will celebrate!

FishProf

Congrats!
That is, at least, an additional layer of protection for what may come.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Yes, pool party is now set up to celebrate!

Good news!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: drpepper on March 22, 2020, 08:08:00 PM
I'm glad to see that others are continuing to get good news! I received formal notification from the President last week, so my tenure and promotion is effective with the new academic year. It has felt kind of anticlimactic with all the coronavirus stuff going on -- I had a couple days to move all of my courses online -- but eventually, I will celebrate!

Yahoo! I am agree on the anticlimactic feeling. Yet I feel pretty grateful for getting through this prior to the pandemic. Our institution did extend the clock for anyone pre-tenure who wants to without any pressure.

DocBones

I also agree that this has been anticlimactic... I received unanimous votes at the department, school, and university levels. I am waiting for final approval from the Board of Trustees, but this is always a consent agenda rubber stamp (and will happen next Friday). The thing that is really frustrating, however, is that after 4 years as a non-tenure track assistant professor, followed by the 9-year tenure clock in my school of medicine, I have been informed that the likelihood of receiving a salary increase with promotion to associate professor and tenure on July 1 is next to zero...because the university has instituted a hiring and salary freeze. So frustrating...

mamselle

Good news of your progress...I hope the salary and hiring issues are revisited next year, after the worst of the viral infestation is over.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

drpepper

DocBones, that would be SO frustrating.... especially after the length of time you've been on the faculty. For us, tenure and promotion increases are divorced from any other decisions about raises (in good years, we have a merit raise pool) and plans for hiring. I hope that at your institution, the salaries of people who were promoted this year are reconsidered next year for some kind of equity adjustment. The job security that comes along with tenure is nice, but it's not especially helpful (and can in some ways feel confining) if we aren't getting compensated fairly for what we do.

Kron3007

Yes hopefully the raise comes if/when things get back to normal, but at least we are all still employed.  I have been very appreciative of the security that our job provides right now as many ofu friends have suddenly become unemployed.  I am also very glad I did not join the company that tried to recruit me last year. 

So, I imagine this is frustrating but it is best to focus on the relative position we are in.  Our faculty union will be negotiating a new contract soon and I suspect that the raises we are accustom to will not be included, but at least I will have a good job with decent pay.

darkstarrynight

I found out today my college is going to have a virtual celebration for everyone who was promoted and/or tenured. It was unexpected, and it happens to be on my late father's birthday, which seems special since he only has learned about my success by my reading letters I get out loud and hope he is around me watching over. Anyway, it will be my first time celebrating with other people besides my spouse so I am looking for to it, even if it is just another meeting on a screen!

TarHawk

My dean told me last week that I've been approved for tenure and promotion to associate professor. Emotions: a strange mix of ecstasy, delight, giddiness, decompression. I've been wearing a zenlike smile ever since, which makes me feel guilty given the pandemic. But the added stability makes me feel strong enough to help others more, so I'll try to shake off the guilt with that.

emprof

I just got the official letter: my tenure file has jumped dutifully through all the hoops, and my promotion has been approved as of July 1! Feels anticlimactic but still good. I suspect I won't really feel it until the fall semester starts. I remember when I got a tenure-track job, I first 'felt' it when I went to a conference and senior colleagues started treating me differently in small but obvious ways, and that's when it hit me that I was 'in'.

darkstarrynight

apl68

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Starting a pool party for those tenured since the last one!

Docbones, are you in? (Your post indicated a soon-to-be-sent final affirmation, just checking that all went well!)

Three-two--one---

Splash!

http://thefora.org/index.php?topic=1476.msg34754#msg34754

M.