I admit it. I want remote "virtual" university to continue for another year.

Started by lightning, May 11, 2021, 07:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishbrains

I'm with the OP and those who have been more successful this past year-and-a-half, but I can see where it totally sucked in other areas.

If we do go back in the fall, I'm definitely going to have to figure out how I'm going to continue to engage in my afternoon nap. And I guess I'll have to relearn how to wear long pants.

I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Aster

Quote from: fishbrains on May 12, 2021, 09:38:14 AM
I'm definitely going to have to figure out how I'm going to continue to engage in my afternoon nap. And I guess I'll have to relearn how to wear long pants.

For me, it's as easy as just going back to campus where the building temperatures are too cool to go pants-less for long periods of time. Four+ hours in shorts will freeze me out of most state-operated public buildings.

FishProf

I want to go back to (well, in my case, stay) f2f.  I disliked my courses in thy hybrid modality.

But I'll keep Zoom meeting, thanks.

I like Zoom advising, too.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

kiana

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping virtual office hours. And honestly, THOSE I'm perfectly fine taking hyflex because they're not a class and I feel perfectly able to work with a single digit number of students, all of whom chose to come and either have specific questions they want answered or are just chilling while they work on homework.

Caracal

Quote from: kiana on May 12, 2021, 12:00:06 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely keeping virtual office hours. And honestly, THOSE I'm perfectly fine taking hyflex because they're not a class and I feel perfectly able to work with a single digit number of students, all of whom chose to come and either have specific questions they want answered or are just chilling while they work on homework.

I don't see myself eliminating my normal office hours, mostly because I can usually schedule them in at times I'd be in my office anyway. But, I will definitely be making more use of Zoom meetings. I always try to make sure that I'm never scheduling meetings at times when I wouldn't be on campus anyway since I don't want to care if students fail to show up. Zoom lets me avoid that problem and be more available to students. It also means I won't have the same punishing volume of meetings on my class days at some points in the semester.

Caracal

Quote from: Aster on May 12, 2021, 11:22:03 AM
I'm definitely going to have to figure out how I'm going to continue to engage in my afternoon nap. And I guess I'll have to relearn how to wear long pants.

For me, it's as easy as just going back to campus where the building temperatures are too cool to go pants-less for long periods of time. Four+ hours in shorts will freeze me out of most state-operated public buildings.

I really, really miss wearing my school clothes. I like the feeling of having a teaching uniform. I haven't worn a tie in 14 months and it makes me sad.

mahagonny

Pretending students are learning a lot is much better in person than it is online.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Caracal on May 12, 2021, 02:03:23 PM
Quote from: Aster on May 12, 2021, 11:22:03 AM

I really, really miss wearing my school clothes. I like the feeling of having a teaching uniform. I haven't worn a tie in 14 months and it makes me sad.

I wear my "work clothes" when I'm working at home.  I also drink my tea from my "work mug".  It helps keep my work time and just being home time a bit more distinct.
But I am normally barefoot since we don't wear shoes in the house.  It's going to feel odd to have to wear shoes all day.

Aster

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 12, 2021, 02:22:29 PM
It's going to feel odd to have to wear shoes all day.

Now THIS, I have actual concerns about. Will my shoes fit? Will my feet get hot? Will my feet hurt? Did my feet change shape over the last year because I stopped wearing shoes? Did the COVID vaccine change my feet shape?