News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Reviewing your administrators

Started by secundem_artem, October 28, 2019, 02:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

secundem_artem

My uni has faculty provide feedback about their administrators.  A while back, I participated on such a survey for one of our Assistant Deans - someone whom I did not get along with.  The moment they got the results, they came screaming into my office asking if I was the one who said ......

We will soon be asked to complete an evaluation of the Dean - for whom I have no special regard or respect.  Neither horrible nor outstanding - just another placeholder in a  long line of administrative non-entities in higher ed - but politically well connected.  I'm debating not bothering replying to the survey but thought I may stop here and get the collective wisdom of the fora.

Thoughts?
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

spork

I'm the wrong person to give advice. I always put my name to any evaluation, no matter how critical.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mahagonny

I know what I'd do if that were asked of us at Penntucky State U. Abstain. The department is too toxic. But of course they don't ask. So the fact that they ask you may mean they actually want to know what you think.

If you don't have tenure, you have a perfect excuse to keep quiet.

At the other school the president gave us a questionnaire. It included the questions "are you proud of your association with this college?" Some answered 'no.' Big mistake. The president got angry. Why wouldn't he? Of course he asked for it. Some questionnaires will sneak in a question just to see if people feel like spitting in their eye. In that case don't be a fool. Dodge it.

polly_mer

Wearing my best LarryC hat:

Is there any upside to you for providing an honest review?

Is there any upside to you for participating at all?

Is there any downside to you for quietly just ignoring the form?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

youllneverwalkalone

Quote from: secundem_artem on October 28, 2019, 02:08:01 PM
My uni has faculty provide feedback about their administrators.  A while back, I participated on such a survey for one of our Assistant Deans - someone whom I did not get along with.  The moment they got the results, they came screaming into my office asking if I was the one who said ......

If this had happened to me it would certainly be the last time I'd bother participating in such things.

Volhiker78

I wouldn't touch a survey for a Dean/Director with a 10' pole.