Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Accommodated students abusing their status

Started by hamburger, October 30, 2019, 06:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Again,

1. Find a new job.

2. Say no and keep saying no (zero elaboration, just no) until the dean etc. officially overrules you for every case.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Caracal

Quote from: polly_mer on November 23, 2019, 05:50:10 PM
Again,

1. Find a new job.

2. Say no and keep saying no (zero elaboration, just no) until the dean etc. officially overrules you for every case.

I'd vote for just saying yes.

polly_mer

Quote from: Caracal on November 23, 2019, 07:07:40 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on November 23, 2019, 05:50:10 PM
Again,

1. Find a new job.

I'd vote for just saying yes.

The important point is stick to a one-word answer to free up time and energy for the job search.  Stop wasting energy engaging with foolishness that won't get you, Hamburger, a better job.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

spork

As I responded to the OP on the old CHE fora, find a job in another industry if your academic temp work isn't meeting your needs.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

rhetoricae

Quote from: hamburger on November 23, 2019, 03:02:04 PM
I had a student coming to talk to me this week. I did not even recognize him. He told me that he missed a quiz and asked me to let him to take a quiz. I told him that all the answers have already been out. I asked him if he wanted me to use my time to create a new set of questions just for him. He said yes. A few other students came to me asking me why they got a zero in the first quiz or in the first lab which happened in September. They said that they were there but there is no evident at all that they showed up. Some students like to play memory game.

Don't couch something as an option if it isn't one, even if you are doing so rhetorically or sarcastically. Rather than, "Do you want me to create a new set of questions" -- which any student would obviously take if it were a sincere option! -- just say, "The answers are already out, you missed the deadline, I'm afraid taking it now is not possible."   For students who are just now worried about a zero from back in September, "I'm sorry; the time to raise this issue was September. It's now too late to make up that quiz."  If the student has proof they took it and the zero is an error, then accept that. Otherwise, sorry.

I think you create a lot more stress for yourself by engaging these requests as if you are somehow required to take them seriously, or to comply with every student whim. Of course the student will say yes if it seems you're offering him the extension he's asking for! Don't make it a conversation or an option. Just state the facts, adhere to policy. That's it.

Caracal

Quote from: hamburger on November 23, 2019, 03:02:04 PM

I had a student coming to talk to me this week. I did not even recognize him. He told me that he missed a quiz and asked me to let him to take a quiz. I told him that all the answers have already been out. I asked him if he wanted me to use my time to create a new set of questions just for him.

This is not an appropriate tone to take with students and it is just going to cause you trouble. By taking offense at a student request, and then communicating your anger to the student, you are introducing a personal dynamic into the relationship. That's how you get people complaining to your chair. It isn't generally worth being mad at students, even when they are annoying. Every once in a while, a student does really piss me off, but even then, you have to maintain your composure. Be calm, be matter of fact, explain the policy and then move on.

downer

Quote from: Caracal on November 25, 2019, 11:14:09 AMEvery once in a while, a student does really piss me off, but even then, you have to maintain your composure. Be calm, be matter of fact, explain the policy and then move on.

Good advice. Not always easy to implement. A year ago I had 2 students who had major problems and didn't take responsibility for solving them, yet wanted me to help them out. I managed to convince one of them to withdraw. The other scaped by, and I hope I never see them again. I had interactions with both that caused me a fair amoung of irritation. In both cases I probably spoke louder than I should have.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

syz

I have similar situations but not as extreme like this. But my policy is clear. If the student is asking accommodation as per university written policy (e.g. student handbook etc), then I have to provide, no exception. If it is not written university policy, I follow my own principles outlined course syllabus. At the beginning of the semester I tell them exactly what excuses may be accommodated. I have written down those in my course policy and I implement it uniformly to all students.