Is total college tuition cost capped the same between 12-18 hours?

Started by Aster, November 04, 2019, 05:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ_Katz

R1 state institution here with all tuition charged per credit, whether 1, 10, 12, or 18.

I don't understand why this would be a nightmare for administration though. 

craftyprof

My undergraduate institution had the flat rate for full-time enrollment (12-18) deal.  It allowed me to double major and take advantage of the breadth of a liberal arts education.

My current regional comprehensive charges for every credit.  Which is a shame - our students are borrowing so much, they can't afford an extra course here or there just because it is interesting.

onthefringe

Quote from: craftyprof on November 06, 2019, 06:01:15 PM
My undergraduate institution had the flat rate for full-time enrollment (12-18) deal.  It allowed me to double major and take advantage of the breadth of a liberal arts education.

Glad to know some people take advantage of it! we have a huge problem here of people registering for 12 credits per semester (because it's "full time") and then claiming to be "shocked, shocked I tell you" that they haven't accrued the 120 credits needed to graduate in 4 years.

I do worry about some of our students sometimes.

AJ_Katz

Quote from: craftyprof on November 06, 2019, 06:01:15 PM
My current regional comprehensive charges for every credit.  Which is a shame - our students are borrowing so much, they can't afford an extra course here or there just because it is interesting.

Exactly.  It hurts our course enrollment too.  Students can't just take a course because they're interested.  So you best make sure your course or lab is required for their major, or else you'll find it's difficult to keep enrollment and justify the course offering.

polly_mer

I will remind people about the federal financial aid rules that require a course to be progress towards the declared major.  When a student is out of electives, the student may not be full-time for financial aid even when registered for 15 credits.

Transfer students and those who flailed with a lot of Ds in a previous major are likely to be unable to be full-time based on current rules.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!