Where is the dirt on dubious depts, "missing stairs"/harassers?, crazy searches?

Started by lalochezia, November 08, 2019, 02:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lalochezia

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

lalochezia

Parasaurolophus

At this point, I'm something of an external hard drive for my field's dirt. Not everyone trawls the internet as hard as I do.
I know it's a genus.

lalochezia

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 24, 2019, 10:52:53 PM
At this point, I'm something of an external hard drive for my field's dirt. Not everyone trawls the internet as hard as I do.

edited highlights?

Anselm

I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mamselle

Quote from: Anselm on November 29, 2019, 10:23:44 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 08, 2019, 02:46:54 PM
Don't forget Universities to Fear

Wow!  Was this ever discussed on the old CHE Fora?  I might add an entry myself.

Yes, it did pop up from time to time, I think.

At least, when I saw it here, I recognized it...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: lalochezia on November 28, 2019, 04:28:51 PM
edited highlights?

Nah, they're horror stories, not juicy gossip. If or when something relevant pops up here, I might tell one of them.

(That said, I spread them around my field and subfield, because the 'open secret' model only works to keep the secrets secret, and enable monsters.)
I know it's a genus.

pepsi_alum

I've found the Universities to Fear wiki to be useful in some cases. But it's also been my experience that a lot of the truly toxic stories are best acquired through word of mouth.

traductio

I spent nearly seven years at a place whose toxicity is legion, but I never put anything on Universities to Fear because I couldn't find a way to do it without making my identity guessable. But google my former department, and you'll find no shortage of local news stories that scratch the surface enough to act as fair warning.