News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Why do you adjunct?

Started by simpleSimon, November 18, 2019, 08:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: hamburger on November 27, 2019, 11:07:47 AM

Old and conservative parent does not allow me to look for a job as a contractor or a plumber with my PhD. Probably being a 'professor' sounds better in front of relatives and her friends!

You might feel like you have a responsibility to take care of your parent, but that doesn't mean they get to make career choices for you. What are they going to do to you if you look for a job in a different field?

mahagonny

Quote from: Caracal on November 27, 2019, 11:32:02 AM
Quote from: hamburger on November 27, 2019, 11:07:47 AM

Old and conservative parent does not allow me to look for a job as a contractor or a plumber with my PhD. Probably being a 'professor' sounds better in front of relatives and her friends!

You might feel like you have a responsibility to take care of your parent, but that doesn't mean they get to make career choices for you. What are they going to do to you if you look for a job in a different field?

Agree with Caracal. I am in the field I am in today, for a living, because of a spouse who threatened to leave me otherwise. I could have just done it and then taken the heat.

Among my favorite quotations: 'Never be afraid of anything or anyone.' - Frank Sinatra

Juvenal

"Sharp stick."  "Eye."  'Nuf sed.
Cranky septuagenarian

mahagonny

Quote from: Juvenal on December 11, 2019, 04:02:41 PM
"Sharp stick."  "Eye."  'Nuf sed.

Thank you for not succumbing to pressure to state 'I am absolutely thrilled with and grateful for this opportunity.' Life is so much easier to take when people are... real.