News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Positivity Thread

Started by adel9216, November 25, 2019, 02:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adel9216

Has nothing to do with academia, but I got my hair done today and bought some beautiful dresses! That makes me happy.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: adel9216 on December 07, 2019, 05:04:11 PM
Has nothing to do with academia, but I got my hair done today and bought some beautiful dresses! That makes me happy.

Good work!

I just got a very positive R&R (although turning it around will take quite some work) from a very high-ranking journal!

Unfortunately, I can't think about it (or my other recent R&R) because I'm in the middle of grading hell on a very tight deadline. But it's a much-needed ray of sunshine!
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Congrats, Parasaurolophus! It's always nice to receive external validation of our merits.

I just successfully built a Thing using a brand-new software that is (a) integral to the running of my new lab equipment, and (b) not at all easy to figure out. In the past when I had to work with it I've just repurposed other people's templates and shifted around a few things, but building this practice Thing from scratch means I have a hugely improved understanding of how the software works, and it makes me feel mighty.

Bede the Vulnerable

Congratulations to you all on these accomplishments!

My current MS is under contract, and I finished the requested revisions yesterday.  Last week, I spoke to the acquisitions editor at my press about my next idea.  The next day, editors from one of the press's series wrote that they'd like to acquire the MS, and would I please send a proposal when it is ready. 

I want to be excited--even "proud"--of these two developments.  But I am simply feeling relief.

Still, relief is a Very Good Thing when full prof is at stake!
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

adel9216

The colloquium proposal I made was accepted! First time organizing something like this :)

kiana

My developmental math student got a B.

It was the first time he's gotten a grade higher than D in a math class since elementary school.

Liquidambar

Quote from: kiana on December 15, 2019, 08:23:57 AM

It was the first time he's gotten a grade higher than D in a math class since elementary school.

Aw, that's wonderful!  Way to go, kiana's student.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Parasaurolophus

Now that's something to celebrate!

Just got a straight acceptance from another top journal. I feel on fire! (Too bad each acceptance reduces my pool of papers, though.)
I know it's a genus.

Bede the Vulnerable

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 15, 2019, 07:08:47 PM

Just got a straight acceptance from another top journal. I feel on fire! (Too bad each acceptance reduces my pool of papers, though.)

Wow!  Congratulations!  What a way to go into the break.

I've mean to tell you how much I like your name, btw.  I'm thinking of changing mine to Therazinosaurus. . . :-)
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

adel9216

Submitted a final paper today. Got one more to right and I am on vacayyyyyy

adel9216

I have submitted in op-ed today. Don't know if it will get published, but it is a response to another op-ed published today, and I had something to say. So I took two hours and wrote an op-ed. We'll see what happens.

lightning

At first I read "The Positivist Thread," so I grabbed some popcorn, and I clicked on it, looking for a train wreck.

But I'm not disappointed, so here is my positive report.

All my spawn scored very high on their standardized math tests. I am deluding myself into thinking that I had a part in their success.

ergative

I had some data that seemed to show a pretty robust pattern in the plots, but every time I ran the stats, nothing came out. This seemed weird. Then I realized that I'd taken the absolute value of the dependent variable in my plots (which was correct) but I'd forgotten to do that in the stats. I fixed it, and everything came out as expected.

mamselle

Good for you!

I'm through the first week into my research travels and so far all my transport, lodging, and library reservations have worked.

Of course, I'm worrying that, as soon as I say that....something will go weird, but so far, I'm celebrating!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Since January 1st, I've knocked out:

2 referee reports
1 set of minor revisions

By this time in February, I'll need to have also knocked out:

1 referee report (on that vile book)
1 set of major revisions (but a conditional acceptance!)
1 R&R

It feels like a real set of accomplishments, but also like a lot left to do.
I know it's a genus.