News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

"The Chair" on Netflix: True or False?

Started by no1capybara, August 31, 2021, 08:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Yeah, I was thinking, like, "hide, hidden," so, "stride, stridden," you know?

I suppose I could check the OED...

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

little bongo

A quick internet check on conjugating the irregular verb "stride" reveals that both "strode" and "strided" work for simple past, but the past participle is indeed "stridden." Thus, to correct:

"...although I never strode the world like a colossus." Or, "I have never stridden the world like a colossus."

This probably at least partially explains why I have not done so.

ergative

From the OED entry on 'stride':

1829   J. Sterling Ess. & Tales (1848) I. 78   He would have stridden among them without belonging to either faction.
1899   J. Milne Romance of Pro-Consul ix. 89   The larger quarter-deck on to which Sir George Grey had stridden, much needed cleaning up.

But also:

1936   'R. West' Thinking Reed iii. 89   From youth he had strode through the twenty-four hours at the pace of a Marathon race.

And, for what it's worth:

c1275  (▸?a1200)    Laȝamon Brut (Calig.) (1978) l. 8973   Þe leome gon striden a ueire seoue strengen. (but this might be a spelling of the -ing progressive form)

apl68

We're not even getting into the forms of bestride.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ergative

Quote from: apl68 on October 20, 2021, 12:46:31 PM
We're not even getting into the forms of bestride.

Yes, indeed. I'm quite fond of bestrodden for that verb.