News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF CAREER

Started by danielkm, November 08, 2021, 12:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flying_tree

I'm cautiously optimistic right now since this is my first CAREER submission but has anyone ever heard positive news after the pending date changes and/or this late? Or does no contact from a PO suggest that it is most likely declined?

alex000

Thanks!

Quote from: MoO2 on January 21, 2022, 10:06:58 AM
I also recommend to contact the PM and get feedbacks.

They may offer an EAGER opportunities. My 1st try of CAREER was declined (now waiting for the results of 2nd shot). But 2 days after the official decline notice the PM emailed me and invited me for an EAGER proposal (of course, it is phrased in a skillful manner). And that money helps me a lot.

Even no EAGER opportunities, it is always good to chat with the PM and have some human interactions. You will be surprised about how much they are willing to share, as long as you ask a good question in a way that they are allowed to answer. Impression matters.

Quote from: alex000 on January 20, 2022, 02:37:25 PM
I asked around, it seems it is hard to get E in my field.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote from: arcturus on January 20, 2022, 02:18:54 PM
Quote from: alex000 on January 20, 2022, 10:11:44 AM
E, V, V/G, G, G/F,  declined today, very disappointed!
Five reviewers, and the one giving G/F is not in this field and said it is hard to follow.

This is the third time.   CISE-CCF
Frankly, these are not good scores and are indicative that there is a fundamental problem with either your research program or how you are describing your research program. Have you served on an NSF review panel? If not, I recommend that you volunteer to do so, as it can be quite illuminating. Every field has slightly different expectations as to how proposals are written and the evaluations may turn on unwritten rules (my field over emphasizes broader impacts, for example, because everyone's science is fantastic, so the broader impacts become the differentiator by default).

Quote from: alex000 on January 20, 2022, 01:36:31 PM
Is it possible to argue with the PO?  Did everyone have this kind of experience?

I definitely would not waste my time arguing with the PO. You will get a reputation...which you do not want.

eigen

Got my "not funded" note today + released reviews. Ended up with 8 total, mostly G with some VG/E thrown in.

Lots of good concrete feedback that I should be able to focus on for re-submission this summer. Thankfully my BI/educational plan had very few noted weaknesses, so I can focus on the research plan.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Staywarm

interesting that they have 8 reviewers to review yours.

arios0

Sorry to hear about the rejection eigen. At least the reviews are constructive. Also, 8 reviews is a lot, is that normal?

I'm still waiting for an update on my submission, pending (no update) since last September. I wish I could learn to forget about it and stop refreshing :)

eigen

I'm not particularly surprised it didn't get funded as a first submission. I intentionally submitted when I've got a couple of more opportunities so I could get some feedback.

I'm not sure why so many reviews. I'm wondering if it's because I submitted to two different programs? It's something that I might consider not doing in the future, especially if I can parse which reviews seem to have come from which area.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

mleok

Quote from: eigen on January 25, 2022, 12:07:37 PM
I'm not particularly surprised it didn't get funded as a first submission. I intentionally submitted when I've got a couple of more opportunities so I could get some feedback.

I'm not sure why so many reviews. I'm wondering if it's because I submitted to two different programs? It's something that I might consider not doing in the future, especially if I can parse which reviews seem to have come from which area.

It might be because you submitted to two programs, and sometimes it's because a panel liked your proposal, but did not feel they had the expertise to decide if the proposed research is novel/significant in the context of your specific field. In that situation, mail reviewers are sometimes requested.

CAREER panels tend to be quite broad, for example, there is one panel covering three programs in DMS, whereas there are typically multiple panels covering different subfields in each program of DMS. Broader and educational impact also plays a more important role in a CAREER proposal, so some panel members will have a pedagogical/teaching/outreach focus as opposed to more traditional panels where everyone is first and foremost a researcher.

deeply_uncertain

Finally, my ordeal is over. My proposal got declined last night and it was my third time.  The panel liked the concept of my proposal and felt that it will be impactful. But they did not like the lack of attention to a particular body of literature which impacted my score. We love attention so much. 

Ratings received: E; VG(G); VG(G); G. Final rating was competitive. But it was not enough as the competition is so tough.

Good luck to all who will be writing their CAREER in future years.   

flying_tree

Quote from: deeply_uncertain on February 03, 2022, 06:38:20 AM
Finally, my ordeal is over. My proposal got declined last night and it was my third time.  The panel liked the concept of my proposal and felt that it will be impactful. But they did not like the lack of attention to a particular body of literature which impacted my score. We love attention so much. 

Ratings received: E; VG(G); VG(G); G. Final rating was competitive. But it was not enough as the competition is so tough.

Sorry to hear that but I'm sure your proposal will be very successful in a standard program. If you don't mind me asking, what program did you hear back from?

Staywarm

The lack of attention may mean that they believe the knowledge gap your proposal aims to fill is unclear. The intellectual merit may be low. Just my two cents.

deeply_uncertain

Quote from: robohobo on February 03, 2022, 07:22:47 AM

Sorry to hear that but I'm sure your proposal will be very successful in a standard program. If you don't mind me asking, what program did you hear back from?

cmmi hdbe.

HunterNC

Does anyone have any insights on why CMMI programs are so quiet this year? It seems that not many awards were out on the NSF website compared with 2020 and 2021 cycles in Feb time frame. Many of you are being requested for abstract or just waiting for awards to show up on the NSF website?

flying_tree

Quote from: HunterNC on February 03, 2022, 12:14:57 PM
Does anyone have any insights on why CMMI programs are so quiet this year? It seems that not many awards were out on the NSF website compared with 2020 and 2021 cycles in Feb time frame. Many of you are being requested for abstract or just waiting for awards to show up on the NSF website?

Seems like several programs are very slow this year. IIS hasn't made any awards as of yet but past years it seemed like awards would start being made in January.

Staywarm

I have the same feeling. At least half of the awards were out in Dec in previous cycles. This year is just too quiet.

Quote from: HunterNC on February 03, 2022, 12:14:57 PM

tryingtogetit

Has anyone heard about their CAREER recently? My status is still pending since September.