PhD Student failed in one of the subject - Assistantship Decision

Started by sambaprof, December 15, 2023, 08:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sambaprof

One of my PhD student who just started in Fall 2023, got a "F" grade in one of the non core course and it looks like her GPA will fall below 2.0. Please advise how to handle this. Should I cancel the assistantship.  I am not sure if I need to contact one...

She is doing Ok with research., This is the first time I am encountering this kind of issue. Please advise.

Langue_doc

Quote from: sambaprof on December 15, 2023, 08:49:04 AMOne of my PhD student who just started in Fall 2023, got a "F" grade in one of the non core course and it looks like her GPA will fall below 2.0. Please advise how to handle this. Should I cancel the assistantship.  I am not sure if I need to contact one...

She is doing Ok with research., This is the first time I am encountering this kind of issue. Please advise.

Talk to your chair and/or the director of your grad program.

bio-nonymous

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 15, 2023, 10:20:44 AM
Quote from: sambaprof on December 15, 2023, 08:49:04 AMOne of my PhD student who just started in Fall 2023, got a "F" grade in one of the non core course and it looks like her GPA will fall below 2.0. Please advise how to handle this. Should I cancel the assistantship.  I am not sure if I need to contact one...

Talk to your chair and/or the director of your grad program.
At our place any grade of a "D" or worse in any class results in automatic dismissal of a student from the grad school. I agree to talk with higher-up admin critters, there may well be a process already in place.

jerseyjay

Quote from: bio-nonymous on December 18, 2023, 05:45:57 AMAt our place any grade of a "D" or worse in any class results in automatic dismissal of a student from the grad school. I agree to talk with higher-up admin critters, there may well be a process already in place.

When I was in grad school 20 years ago, an "A-" was a signal that you needed to improve, a "B+" was a pretty stark warning, and a "B" was pretty much tantamount to being sent down. I suppose an "F" would have meant immediate rustication, although I do not actually know anybody who got an F in my graduate school. (There were many people who got Incompletes and never made them up, and never finished, but that's another issue.)