News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

January Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, January 01, 2024, 09:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I suppose I'll see if I can tinker with the R&R, do a spot of translation, then shift to all the course prep I need to do.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 11, 2024, 10:48:11 AMI suppose I'll see if I can tinker with the R&R, do a spot of translation, then shift to all the course prep I need to do.

Acceptable progress on all fronts.

Was also asked to blurb someone's book, which is neat!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Will do a little light R&Ring today, but otherwise I should do course prep. Sigh. And I won't have much time to give it, either.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I did not do anything today except meet with a student who still needed to enroll in classes for Spring semester. Thus, I better get back to writing the book next week!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 12, 2024, 09:16:10 AMWill do a little light R&Ring today, but otherwise I should do course prep. Sigh. And I won't have much time to give it, either.

Did those. Wish it were more!
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on January 01, 2024, 10:15:25 AMJanuary goals:
  • Make progress on paper #1 with colleagues - should be submittable soon, but ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleagues - ball is in colleague's court
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague - R&R, ball is in my court
  • Make progress on paper #4 - R&R
  • Make progress on book project #1
  • Make progress on book project #2 with colleague

I made some good progress on both of my R&Rs over the last few days:

All the revisions on paper #4 are done and the response memo is drafted. The paper isn't due back to the journal until February, so I'll put it to the side for now and read with fresh eyes in a couple of weeks.

I started making updates to the dataset and modeling paper #3 and made a good breakthrough today (ChatGPT was very helpful btw). This will be a more difficult revision, but I see the path forward and I'm looking forward to zoning in on it in the coming weeks.

Parasaurolophus

Mostly course prep with whatever time I get today. Some R&Ring would be nice, but I dunno that I'll get to it.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 13, 2024, 09:23:52 AMMostly course prep with whatever time I get today. Some R&Ring would be nice, but I dunno that I'll get to it.

Some of both.
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

Okay, 1st full draft of chapter 2 (which will probably be relocated to chapter 3) is done.  Now it is time to finish up chapter 3 (which will probably be chapter 2) and chapter 4, both of which are very close to finished, in the next two days. 

Then on to inserting the critical apparatus.  If I can keep good steam, I should get this done in time.  I worry about the quality. 

Feeling both oppressed and enthusiastic.  The work lacks some "zing" since I no longer work in academia. Trying to keep the faith.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

Gonna hit the R&R for a bit today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 14, 2024, 08:46:09 AMGonna hit the R&R for a bit today.

Managed 1k words. Will have to cut a bunch eventually. And prep my course. But there's two more days before I teach again, so...
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

OooooooMG.  I added up my chapters as they stand now.  Even if I reduce the one chapter (composed mostly of my notes that I compiled over the years) by half, I am at 70K words (right now the manuscript sits at 80K).  Gonna haff'ta email the nice editor and ask if their is an absolute ceiling for word count.  Was going to email them anyway and ask about illustrations.  I might ask if one planned chapter might make its own small manuscript.

This is a strange problem to have.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 14, 2024, 08:25:02 PMOooooooMG.  I added up my chapters as they stand now.  Even if I reduce the one chapter (composed mostly of my notes that I compiled over the years) by half, I am at 70K words (right now the manuscript sits at 80K).  Gonna haff'ta email the nice editor and ask if their is an absolute ceiling for word count.  Was going to email them anyway and ask about illustrations.  I might ask if one planned chapter might make its own small manuscript.

A thought: might that chapter make a Cambridge Element? (Then again, I think they pay a flat rate of one hundred bucks per Element.)
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 14, 2024, 09:02:12 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on January 14, 2024, 08:25:02 PMOooooooMG.  I added up my chapters as they stand now.  Even if I reduce the one chapter (composed mostly of my notes that I compiled over the years) by half, I am at 70K words (right now the manuscript sits at 80K).  Gonna haff'ta email the nice editor and ask if their is an absolute ceiling for word count.  Was going to email them anyway and ask about illustrations.  I might ask if one planned chapter might make its own small manuscript.

A thought: might that chapter make a Cambridge Element? (Then again, I think they pay a flat rate of one hundred bucks per Element.)

I was thinking of that!!  Thanks!!

Parasaurolophus

Today, I definitely need to prep for Wednesday. But I'd like to R&R, too.
I know it's a genus.