News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Professional attire question

Started by Larimar, January 28, 2024, 10:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

What are women wearing these days instead of pantyhose at work? I'm in Gen X, and while that was the thing when I was starting out, I know it isn't anymore. I can barely even find pantyhose at the pharmacy anymore. I can't wear sandals year-round here, and I don't like the way shoes stick to my bare feet after a while if I wear no hosiery, and socks don't go well with ballet flats or heels. What do forumites suggest?

Thanks,
Larimar

ciao_yall

Have you tried no-show liner socks? I haven't.

I like to put insoles in my ballet flats if they don't have cloth linings to help with that sticky feeling. Also, sprinkle in some baby powder after you wear them to help absorb sweat and odors.

For heels, I have learned to strategically place moleskin on sensitive spots.

Puget

In cool weather if I'm wearing a skirt or dress it's with leggings and boots. In hot weather, sandals. But most of the time I just wear pants.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

sinenomine

I've transitioned to wearing pants every day.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

EdnaMode

On the rare occasions I wear flats (never wear heels), I wear thin no-show liner socks. I have some that have the silicon grippers to keep them from sliding off my heel and down into my shoe.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

Dismal

I wouldn't go with bare legs here from Oct to April so I wear footless tights. Then I wear socks or footies, depending on the shoes. I don't like tights with feet in them. I have tights in black, gray and brown.

kaysixteen

What would happen were you to buck recent conventions and just wear panty hose anyhow?

spork

Quote from: kaysixteen on January 28, 2024, 07:09:14 PMWhat would happen were you to buck recent conventions and just wear panty hose anyhow?

If one's whalebone and horsehair hoop frame is properly adjusted, the skirt covers one's ankles, and there is no need for salacious pantyhose.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

ciao_yall

I wear black tights during the winter.

Do not ever wear sandals with any sort of stocking. Unless, of course, you are going to rob a bank with your feet.

grammarmaiden

For me, it depends on the occasion. I am an elder millennial, and I still wear pantyhose with skirt suits and anytime I am wearing a skirt and close-toed shoes to a professional event. I typically wear pants and heels every day to teach in the fall/winter/spring (I am probably one of the only people who still wears knee-high hose under pants). If I'm teaching in the summer, I will sometimes wear dresses with open-toed sandals and no hose. FWIW, Spanx makes a great hose line that is available at my local Target (it's called Assets by Spanx).

Larimar

Thanks everyone. I'll try exploring the liner socks option.

artalot

Tights are still a thing. I love tights.
I have long feet and those liner socks never stay on my feet. 

Myword

A female professor in England recently wore nothing. She lectured naked. Wasn't fired. No kidding.

AJ_Katz

Quote from: grammarmaiden on January 29, 2024, 11:13:33 AMFor me, it depends on the occasion. I am an elder millennial, and I still wear pantyhose with skirt suits and anytime I am wearing a skirt and close-toed shoes to a professional event. I typically wear pants and heels every day to teach in the fall/winter/spring (I am probably one of the only people who still wears knee-high hose under pants). If I'm teaching in the summer, I will sometimes wear dresses with open-toed sandals and no hose. FWIW, Spanx makes a great hose line that is available at my local Target (it's called Assets by Spanx).

+1 to this.  I only wear close-toed shoes now.  In the summer, I will wear ankle pants without socks and wearing closed toed Mary Jane heels.  I would prefer to always have skin covered.  I've always liked Diane Keaton's gloves, but can't bring myself to wear them indoors like her.

@grammarmaiden – Thanks for the tip on the Assets brand hose.  What brand knee high hose do you recommend?  I looked them up at Target and only saw full length garments.

Antiphon1

I wear opaque tights in the winter with dresses and skirts.  No hose in the warmer months with dresses.  I use removable, washable insoles to combat the sticky/stinky insole issue.  Just pop them in the washing machine and air dry.