News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Annual review JDEIB

Started by waterboy, January 30, 2024, 10:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterboy

As I attempt to fill out my annual review, I'm now (for the first time) asked to tell them about my deliberate efforts at Justice, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (JDEIB). I don't actively do anything other than try to treat folks fairly and not be an asshole. Anyone with some advice here?
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

marshwiggle

Quote from: waterboy on January 30, 2024, 10:32:33 AMAs I attempt to fill out my annual review, I'm now (for the first time) asked to tell them about my deliberate efforts at Justice, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (JDEIB). I don't actively do anything other than try to treat folks fairly and not be an asshole. Anyone with some advice here?

Twenty, or even ten years ago, that would have been perfectly reasonable. Now, it will get you labelled an unrepentant bigot.
It takes so little to be above average.

Puget

Quote from: waterboy on January 30, 2024, 10:32:33 AMAs I attempt to fill out my annual review, I'm now (for the first time) asked to tell them about my deliberate efforts at Justice, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (JDEIB). I don't actively do anything other than try to treat folks fairly and not be an asshole. Anyone with some advice here?

It doesn't have to be related to your research/scholarship--

Have you mentored students who are underrepresented in your field (along any identity dimension)?

Do you have course policies that increase the equity and inclusion of your classes (e.g., do you provide resources and help for students who need some extra support to succeed for whatever reason?). Done anything to increase students' sense of belonging in your class?

Have you completed any relevant trainings or workshops?

Have you done any related service to the department, university, or field?

If the answer to all of those questions is "no", then I'm afraid that's the honest answer for this year, and hopefully something you will think about changing for next year.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

waterboy

My last 3 grad students have been, just by coincidence, persons of color. So I could pat myself on the back for that but that seems like a cheap and cynical trick. I didn't recruit them. And, yeah, done the training, but then (supposedly) so did everyone else.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Puget

Quote from: waterboy on January 30, 2024, 12:04:59 PMMy last 3 grad students have been, just by coincidence, persons of color. So I could pat myself on the back for that but that seems like a cheap and cynical trick. I didn't recruit them. And, yeah, done the training, but then (supposedly) so did everyone else.

OK this gives you some things to work with--

You may not have recruited those grad students, but what did you do to mentor them and help them be successful? Talk about that.

Sure, everyone may have done the trainings, but what did you take away from them? Can you highlight how you incorporated anything from the trainings into your research/teaching/service?
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

secundem_artem

I'm tenured.  This would be my response.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Wahoo Redux

You are clicking the box on your ability to acknowledge window dressing.  Do the cheap and cynical trick.

Also, tell them that you consistently allow space for people of color etc. to answer questions and joins discussions in your classrooms / labs / whatever.  It is not much, but DEI often concerns itself with the classroom issue.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

lightning

Quote from: waterboy on January 30, 2024, 12:04:59 PMMy last 3 grad students have been, just by coincidence, persons of color. So I could pat myself on the back for that but that seems like a cheap and cynical trick. I didn't recruit them. And, yeah, done the training, but then (supposedly) so did everyone else.

You're set, for this year!!!! The people that put in the JDEIB requirement on your reports are probably only concerned with virtue signaling. But if you are not as lucky for next year, you really need to do some of the standard virtue signaling workshops. Tweak your curriculum with some virtue signaling content.

Thank you for not being an asshole and for treating people fairly. Unfortunately, that doesn't "count."

marshwiggle

Quote from: lightning on January 30, 2024, 08:04:27 PM

You're set, for this year!!!! The people that put in the JDEIB requirement on your reports are probably only concerned with virtue signaling. But if you are not as lucky for next year, you really need to do some of the standard virtue signaling workshops. Tweak your curriculum with some virtue signaling content.

Thank you for not being an asshole and for treating people fairly. Unfortunately, that doesn't "count."

The important point is to act like you've just come out of a stasis pod from around 1940 (or maybe earlier). "YOU MEAN I'M SUPPOSED TO HELP ALL OF MY STUDENTS; NOT JUST THE ONES WHO LOOK LIKE ME?????!!!!!"

You may have to practice in front of a mirror to get the mix of amazement and horror, but once you do, you can then change to the "enlightened repentant" face and you'll get a DEI gold star.

ciao_yall

What is your field? What are the conversations in the literature around JDEIB? Do you share this with your students?

Hibush

The varied, indeed mutually exclusive, recommendations here are probably all correct for particular common sitations.
I think it is important to figure out who is asking and why. There is a fair chance that there is something worthwhile behind it, and you can use that information to provide reponses that are helpful to you or the institution.

On the other hand, it could be a cynical action by a minor administator who can't do anything with the resultign data. In that case, you know that your answer doesn't matter.

waterboy

I suspect it's because our college has added this to the strategic plan. In any event, I mentioned the students and left it at that.

mythbuster

Related to this discussion, the NYTimes essentially passes the buck on how to actually answer this question: What's My DEI Training? My Own Life

marshwiggle

Quote from: mythbuster on February 06, 2024, 09:01:25 AMRelated to this discussion, the NYTimes essentially passes the buck on how to actually answer this question: What's My DEI Training? My Own Life

Quote"It is rare that companies are asking this question sincerely, but they do want you to answer sincerely or, at least, tell them what they want to hear. "

Pretty much sums it up.