Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Glad it was a good celebration!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

secundem_artem

Let me see if I understand this.

When I cannot hear you, it's because I don't listen.

But when you can't hear me, it's because I mumble.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Wahoo Redux

We generate a great deal less garbage than we did in our last house, but we generate a great deal more recycling now.

The obvious conclusion would be that we are recycling stuff that we used to throw away, but no, we have always been good recyclers.  Actually, we have been eating at home and cooking a great deal more than we used to.  We used to microwave a good many frozen, prepackaged things; now we cook a lot of fresh veggie, rice, and noddle dishes----so it would follow that we would be producing more plant matter that would need to be disposed of...but no, we have more plastic recycling.

I just don't understand what is happening.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

jimbogumbo

dismalist said I was a classic!! Yippee!!

ergative

This limbo while we wait for the various paperworks to work their way through the system to complete the purchase of our home is so frustrating. Everyone we've spoken to--including the lawyers handling things for us--keep saying that it's normal for this process to take several weeks, there's no reason to worry it will fall through. And I don't really think that anything is going to go wrong. I just wish it was over--or at least sufficiently close to being over that we could get on with things like scheduling movers and booking cleaners and pricing new furniture and so on. But there's no point in doing any of that until we actually have things in order to complete the purchase.

It's like when you're on a long trip, and the airplane has taken off, and although, sure, there's a chance that weather or whatever will divert the plane, you expect to land without issue. You just hate the waiting and want it to be over. Sure, even after you land, there's still inconvenience (getting luggage, arranging transport from the airport, checking in to the hotel), but at least it's inconvenience that you can actively take steps to handle.

I just want this damn plane to land.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

This is the first time that I have received a shipment of a piece of clothing that I bought on Amazon that was shipped in just the clear plastic bag the item is packaged in with a shipping label slapped on it! The bag has the usual choking hazard warning and silicate gel packet, and there is a sticker on the outside of the bag with the item scanning code and description and sizing info.  Has anyone seen this before? I guess it saves packaging (if those plastic bags are hardy enough to be shipped, which I am not sure they are designed for), but I am definitely glad it wasn't a more intimate item.

Langue_doc

ab_grp, I would call or chat with an Amazon representative, just to make sure that this doesn't happen again. I had to call them because the expected delivery window in my area used to be until 10 PM. I asked the rep to make a note that the latest delivery time was 8 PM and that I was not going to venture out after that and that I would not be responsible for any missed packages that were delivered after 8 PM. They do listen.

Langue_doc

Double post, different topic.

There I was, waiting to cross 57th Street, watching the cars go past, when I saw a woman's head and upper torso projecting out of the sunroof of an SUV that was traveling east. The not-so-young woman, who must have been standing on one of the seats was taking selfies or pictures with her Ipad. Three of us strangers were quite amused and had things to say about the idiocy of tourists as we crossed the street. Never a dull moment in the city--you can count on tourists to provide the entertainment. Earlier, I had to walk past tourists in all kinds of poses taking pictures near the Times Square subway exit.

mamselle

Imagine yourself giving tours in 18th c. dress....

;--》

M.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on June 22, 2022, 07:03:51 PM
ab_grp, I would call or chat with an Amazon representative, just to make sure that this doesn't happen again. I had to call them because the expected delivery window in my area used to be until 10 PM. I asked the rep to make a note that the latest delivery time was 8 PM and that I was not going to venture out after that and that I would not be responsible for any missed packages that were delivered after 8 PM. They do listen.

That's a good idea! I have one more of this item coming in the next few days so am curious as to whether it will also show up this way.  I will take a picture this time before opening it, if so.  Maybe who ever packaged it was too busy taking selfies at the time.  ;-) 

secundem_artem

Quote from: Langue_doc on June 22, 2022, 07:13:14 PM
Double post, different topic.

There I was, waiting to cross 57th Street, watching the cars go past, when I saw a woman's head and upper torso projecting out of the sunroof of an SUV that was traveling east. The not-so-young woman, who must have been standing on one of the seats was taking selfies or pictures with her Ipad. Three of us strangers were quite amused and had things to say about the idiocy of tourists as we crossed the street. Never a dull moment in the city--you can count on tourists to provide the entertainment. Earlier, I had to walk past tourists in all kinds of poses taking pictures near the Times Square subway exit.

One of our emeritus bio profs once told me a story of his youth.  A friend of his would drive down the street in an old VW bug, standing on the seat, steering with his knees, head through the sun roof, and blowing a bugle.  Suffice to say bio prof's mom was not impressed.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on June 22, 2022, 08:52:15 PM
Imagine yourself giving tours in 18th c. dress....

;--》

M.

You must find yourself photographed more than anybody this side of a cosplayer at a comic book convention.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

Yes, as long as they didn't walk up when I was mid-sentence explaining something detailed, it was OK.

I sometimes wish I'd gotten their names/pictures/something for follow-up.

But it was kinda fun.

M. 

downer

Primary Day: The Democratic Party seems to arrange things so there's only one candidate for most positions. Isn't that how elections work in Russia?

On a different subject. i finally got my teeth cleaned. In my area, there is a shortage of dental hygenists. You have to book about 4 months ahead to get an appointment, and if you cancel your appointment, you wait another 4 months. If you change your dental insurance, I find that can also cause delays. My hygenist said that some people are going a long time between cleanings these days. I wonder whether the shortage is related to COVID. I did hear that a lot of dentists retired in 2020.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis