News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Hypothetically Speaking...

Started by Nightshade, January 30, 2020, 07:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: writingprof on February 01, 2020, 03:56:10 PM
Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if your college president had a bad habit of saying "If anyone thinks they can get [easily achievable thing that any reasonable human with a will could do] done, feel free to take my job"?

Say "Great! I'm in. May I have your salary, please?"

mamselle

Hypothetically speaking, can I will myself to get up, pack one light backpack, call a cab, and get to the train station in 4 hours? (On crutches...?)

Yes, OK, so, I know I can.

But I really don't wanna hafta.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Caracal

Quote from: Biologist_ on February 01, 2020, 03:40:08 PM
Quote from: apl68 on January 31, 2020, 08:07:55 AM
Here's another hypothetical situation:  The lights go out in the middle of a class.  It's in the daytime and not storming, so there is still light to see by.  Does the class continue?

I had a power outage shortly after lecture began a few years ago. My lecture included a bunch of primary literature slides that I wanted students to analyze, so I couldn't easily switch to drawing on the chalkboard. However, I realized that half of the students had printed the slides and a third of them had laptops with the slides. I told them to share with each other and follow along on whatever version they had, so we were able to continue fairly well. I just couldn't point at anything on the screen.

My Powerpoints are just images to go along with the lectures, perhaps some maps, or graphs, headings so students can stay situated and an occasional passage that I want to read along with and discuss. In theory, I could lecture just fine without them. Usually when I first write a lecture that's true, but the more I tweak things over time, the more the powerpoint becomes part of the lecture. It isn't that I'm reading a lot of text off the slide, but I often start using the images as a way to illustrate some point, or introduce some concept, sometimes something I don't even bother putting in my notes. The couple times over the last few years where the computer or projector has crashed, I've given the lecture, but it felt pretty discombobulated.

polly_mer

Quote from: writingprof on February 01, 2020, 03:56:10 PM
Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if your college president had a bad habit of saying "If anyone thinks they can get [easily achievable thing that any reasonable human with a will could do] done, feel free to take my job"?

I applied for other jobs and left almost immediately because everyone is doomed when the person at the top is so very, very wrong.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

backatit

Quote from: mamselle on February 01, 2020, 11:58:26 PM
Hypothetically speaking, can I will myself to get up, pack one light backpack, call a cab, and get to the train station in 4 hours? (On crutches...?)

Yes, OK, so, I know I can.

But I really don't wanna hafta.

M.

Hypothetically speaking, why are you on crutches? And did you make it?