Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Puget on March 29, 2022, 06:45:41 PM
Scene:
Little Calico is sitting in patch of sun coming through the kitchen window, mewing insistently at me.
Guessing that she wishes to sleep in the sun, but needs a receptacle in which to do so, I move a box into the patch of sun.
Little Calico immediately jumps into the box.
Panther Boy comes over, jumps in the box, causing Little Calico to jump out of the box.
Panther Boy lies down in the box. Little Calico sits a foot away staring unblinkingly at him. Several minutes pass this way.
Panther Boy, apparently disconcerted, gets up and returns to his basket.
Little Calico retakes possession of the box and goes to sleep in it.

Conclusion:
Although she is the smallest creature in the house, Little Calico usually gets what she wants.

That's fantastic.

Harlow2

Have you considered to possibility that it is a portal to another dimension?

It's the only thing that makes sense.  She's drawn to the closet like a magnet.

Harlow2

Quote from: smallcleanrat on March 29, 2022, 06:47:12 PM
Quote from: Harlow2 on March 29, 2022, 06:23:29 PM
Ulysses' recent penchant for exploring the downstairs coat closet led her to spend the night there last night. I awoke this morning to considerable wailing. Tonight she wanted back in.  I wonder what she did all night; it's not a big closet and there's not much to play with.

Maybe she's visiting Narnia?

That must be it; and there's actually a small door into what we used to call our secret space under the stairs —-apparently more powerful than I imagined.  My grandson loved the idea that you could disappear within the house.

the_geneticist

All 3 of my cats LOVE to eat bugs.  I've learned to mimic the "bug!" chirp and all of them now come running to smack the bug or eat the bug I smacked for them.
Moths are apparently a delicious treat.

Parasaurolophus

Although she is the smallest creature in the house, Little Calico usually gets what she wants.

It's the same with ours. She's, like, 3/4 the size of a normal adult cat, but she eats first (they graze, but she'll bump the others out of the way when they're on their way to the food, even if it's in separate dishes). The others steer clear of her sleeping spots.

Yesterday, the red cat went to the vet because he's been straining to pee, which suggests a urinary crystal resurgence. Then yesterday afternoon his face swelled up, so he went back today. Abcess. Poor dear. Two is a lot of trips to the vet in as many days.
I know it's a genus.

the_geneticist

Lady Jane wishes that were true for her, as she is the daintiest of tiny cats.  But Sir Puck is the greedy chomper of all food, is totally willing to battle for who get to sit in the best box/chair/sunny spot.  And Izzy just ignores Lady Jane or takes the grumbling & swatting as an invitation to PLAY!  "I love this game!  Let's play another round of "go away Izzy kitten!"

mythbuster

Rough night here at the Buster house. Trouble, our polydactyl cat, decided that my feet were the perfect 4am prey. Pounce on them if they move, and sit and knead/gnaw on them if you hold them still.
   And of course he cries if you shut him out of the bedroom!

mamselle

It's that developmental thing.

Thumbs just spell trouble in mammals...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Does anyone else have a cat who growls like a dog when the doorbell rings? We do. Elder evil cat has done this for years. Why? I don't know.

Why do I mention this?

We decided to treat ourselves to pizza and the delivery guy rang the doorbell. One cat growled and the other hauled ass to some dark crevice in the house.

Larimar

HerMajesty growls if any of the others try to play with her when she's not in the mood, or if OrangeGuy chases her, trying to be alpha kitty. Twerp will sometimes growl if OrangeGuy plays with her too rough. Nobody here growls because of the doorbell, though.

Larimar

The Larimar cats got an Easter treat first thing this morning. Mr. Larimar had gotten some brightly colored hollow plastic Easter eggs, and filled them with catnip, and had been saving them in a padded mailing envelope. This morning he upended the envelope onto the floor in the upstairs hallway. We now have some very happy, well exercised, and loopy cats!

the_geneticist

We know when we've had any sort of delivery because Sir Puck growls ferociously before dashing away to hide.  Izzy just hides.

clean

How about some kitty updates around the board? 
How are our kitty overlords faring, and are they happy with the training efforts that they have put forward, or are they STILL working on overcoming problems..... "you can give them thumbs, but you cant make them use them!"
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Harlow2

Quote from: Larimar on April 17, 2022, 05:14:58 AM
The Larimar cats got an Easter treat first thing this morning. Mr. Larimar had gotten some brightly colored hollow plastic Easter eggs, and filled them with catnip, and had been saving them in a padded mailing envelope. This morning he upended the envelope onto the floor in the upstairs hallway. We now have some very happy, well exercised, and loopy cats!

I was working in the garden and noticed that the catmint I planted last year is roaring along. Guess I will pick some foe Ulysses.

Question:  does it have to be dried first?  What about the flowers?

the_geneticist

Our like it fresh or dried both