News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

I installed a cat door insert in the window to allow them continued access to the catio without heating the great outdoors. So far, Panther Boy has mastered it (he is highly motivated, and also a pro at opening cupboard doors), but Little Calico will only go through if I hold the flap at least partly open for her. I think she gets the concept, but won't push hard enough to release the magnetic latch and seems a little afraid of the flap hitting her-- training tips welcome!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Put food on the other side?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

Quotetraining tips welcome!

I think that she has trained you quite well! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

Quote from: clean on October 26, 2021, 09:05:02 AM

Haha, that is very true!

Quote from: mamselle on October 26, 2021, 08:07:32 AM
Put food on the other side?

M.

Unfortunately she isn't particularly food motivated.

I may see if temporarily blocking the magnet so it swings more easily helps.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

statsgeek

My Yin and Yang boys were extra snuggly last night - which was great until I woke up waaaayyyyy too warm and had to fight the "I gotta get out of this blanket now" urge enough to slow down and NOT send everyone flying. 

onehappyunicorn

https://imgur.com/gallery/pptSxmY
The cats sure love it when I get art supplies in the mail, all that shipping paper is clearly what is important.

mamselle

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on October 27, 2021, 09:14:56 AM
The cats sure love it when I get art supplies in the mail, all that shipping paper is clearly what is important.

You have supplied them with playthings for hours!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sprout

Quote from: Puget on October 26, 2021, 08:05:48 AM
I installed a cat door insert in the window to allow them continued access to the catio without heating the great outdoors. So far, Panther Boy has mastered it (he is highly motivated, and also a pro at opening cupboard doors), but Little Calico will only go through if I hold the flap at least partly open for her. I think she gets the concept, but won't push hard enough to release the magnetic latch and seems a little afraid of the flap hitting her-- training tips welcome!

Our cats don't seem to fully understand pushing.  We have unlatched cupboards - just pull open - and the cats are expert at getting inside, but often get stuck and can't push open the same door they had to have pulled open.  We're alerted by the cupboard door banging. Our hypothesis is that maybe the pushing puts pressure on their whiskers that tells them to stop?

FishProf

I have had several cats that needed "help" in going through the cat door.  When they were "helped" to the less pleasant side, they eventually learned how to operate the door to get back.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Puget

Quote from: sprout on October 27, 2021, 11:44:19 AM
Quote from: Puget on October 26, 2021, 08:05:48 AM

Our cats don't seem to fully understand pushing.  We have unlatched cupboards - just pull open - and the cats are expert at getting inside, but often get stuck and can't push open the same door they had to have pulled open.  We're alerted by the cupboard door banging. Our hypothesis is that maybe the pushing puts pressure on their whiskers that tells them to stop?

Interesting hypothesis-- Panther Boy, who has mastered the cat door, seems to always put a paw through first, then his head, so maybe he is trying to create an opening for his whiskers.

I mean, I think I would hesitate a bit to walk into a seemingly solid surface head first, so I can't really blame them.

the_geneticist

You should start a company that ships cat food/toys/etc that all arrives in a box of crackly, brown paper.  Hours of fun!

Puget

Quote from: the_geneticist on October 27, 2021, 05:14:25 PM

You should start a company that ships cat food/toys/etc that all arrives in a box of crackly, brown paper.  Hours of fun!

This company exists-- it is called Chewy. Every month when the big Chewy box of food and litter arrives, the cats are beside themselves waiting for me to empty it so they can take possession. Not only does it have lots of crinkly paper, but it is cat food scented!

Larimar

Oh, yes. Chewy boxes are very popular here too!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Larimar on October 28, 2021, 03:39:06 AM
Oh, yes. Chewy boxes are very popular here too!

Same here. Youngest evil cat has amassed quite a collection and has established Ft. Evil in a corner of the tv room.

Puget

Quote from: Puget on October 26, 2021, 09:47:44 AM
Quote from: clean on October 26, 2021, 09:05:02 AM

Haha, that is very true!

Speaking of which-- within a week of the return of colder weather, she has me very well trained to turn on the fire for her in the evening and then sit in front of it with my legs up so she can lay on my legs. The minute I'm done with dinner (or she thinks I *should* be done) she starts chirping and trying to lead me to the living room. I generally don't take too much persuasion.