News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Quote from: mahagonny on February 04, 2022, 03:23:37 PM
Our female cat is coming home tomorrow. Been at the vet's since Monday. Getting 'zapped' for hyper (hypo?) thyroidism, I believe it is. Wife is more knowledgeable than I am. The male cat kept walking though the house the first couple of days looking for her. They say she's doing fine. It's supposed to be a permanent cure. Maybe no more pills.

If it's the radioactive iodine treatment, then it's a cure for hyperthyroidism.  My Buddycat had it and it was a permanent cure!  No more pills.
But he did have to be on subcutaneous fluids for a while when we got him home.  He was 17, so maybe it was just due to his age?  He actually managed to gain weight during his 1 week at the radiation vet due to being in a cubby with endless wet food.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 04, 2022, 04:23:29 PM
Our female cat is coming home tomorrow. Been at the vet's since Monday. Getting 'zapped' for hyper (hypo?) thyroidism, I believe it is. Wife is more knowledgeable than I am. The male cat kept walking though the house the first couple of days looking for her. They say she's doing fine. It's supposed to be a permanent cure. Maybe no more pills.

If it's the radioactive iodine treatment, then it's a cure for hyperthyroidism.  My Buddycat had it and it was a permanent cure!  No more pills.
But he did have to be on subcutaneous fluids for a while when we got him home.  He was 17, so maybe it was just due to his age?  He actually managed to gain weight during his 1 week at the radiation vet due to being in a cubby with endless wet food.

How was that managed? Some sort of enormous feeder he could access ad libitum?

The image that flashed into my head was Buddycat polishing off one dish and then raising a paw to summon a server for another. Like at one of those all-you-can eat restaurants.

Glad your cat is doing better, mahagonny.

the_geneticist

Quote from: smallcleanrat on February 04, 2022, 06:22:11 PM
Quote from: the_geneticist on February 04, 2022, 04:23:29 PM

How was that managed? Some sort of enormous feeder he could access ad libitum?

The image that flashed into my head was Buddycat polishing off one dish and then raising a paw to summon a server for another. Like at one of those all-you-can eat restaurants.

Glad your cat is doing better, mahagonny.
It was kind of like that!  They had a live video feed & the staff would top off the food and water if it was getting low.  I would watch the video while I was at work and it was mostly Buddycat snoozing or leaning over to eat.  The food was right next to the cat bed with smelly socks I'd left for him.  Apparently it's really common for folks to leave used clothing so their cat has something familiar to smell.  Typical choice was a shirt, but socks and even underwear were common.

mahagonny

Got the cat back today. she seems like her old self. The expectation is no more pills, better life expectancy and less urinating. It cost a bundle, but you know how it is...the cat's a member of the family!

mamselle

Member of? They usually rule it.

Glad your kitty is feeling better.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: mahagonny on February 05, 2022, 03:37:53 PM
Got the cat back today. she seems like her old self. The expectation is no more pills, better life expectancy and less urinating. It cost a bundle, but you know how it is...the cat's a member of the family!

Good news! Well, except for the hit to your wallet.

Was your other cat glad to see her?

mahagonny

Yes he was. thank you

Yes we left old clothes with her at the vet.

the_geneticist

Quote from: mahagonny on February 05, 2022, 03:37:53 PM

Hurray!  I'm sure she is glad to be back to her kingdom and human staff.

smallcleanrat

Life Before Kitties

Things SO has said:
"I know we both want pets someday, and I think it's important to commit to ground rules and boundaries early on so we don't spoil them too much."

"I'm all for giving pets lots of love and attention and care. But we need to make sure they understand they are not in charge. No spoiling."

Life With Kitties

Things SO does:
Scene 1
Maestro approaches the couch and eyes the bare cushion next to SO. He turns to SO with an expectant gaze and waits. SO responds by grabbing a blanket and arranging it over the cushion, providing Maestro with an extra plush and fuzzy resting spot. Maestro settles in contentedly, but not without a mildly disapproving side glance to communicate to SO that the blanket should have already been set up and waiting for him.

Scene 2
Caramelo is eating his kibble with SO standing at his side. Once every few mouthfuls, Caramelo will glance up at SO with a short, sharp mew which translates to, "I can see the bottom of the bowl!" SO responds by reaching down to shake the dish and redistribute the kibble from sides to center, before straightening back up to wait until he services are required again.

Scene 3
SO comes back from putting a load of laundry in the wash. Maestro sees the empty basket and meows. SO is not allowed to put the laundry basket away until Maestro has had his basket ride. SO lowers the basket, Maestro hops in, and SO hoists the basket onto one shoulder. SO then marches at a deliberate pace through every room of the apartment. Throughout the march, Maestro is sitting up and peering over the edge, his keen eyes surveying every part of his kingdom. He will complain loudly if the tour is cut short. Every room of his domain must be visited.

Thing SO says now:
"We have a couple of very spoiled kitties."

Larimar

mahagonny

Quote from: smallcleanrat on February 06, 2022, 11:52:05 AM
Life Before Kitties

Things SO has said:
"I know we both want pets someday, and I think it's important to commit to ground rules and boundaries early on so we don't spoil them too much."

"I'm all for giving pets lots of love and attention and care. But we need to make sure they understand they are not in charge. No spoiling."

Life With Kitties

Things SO does:
Scene 1
Maestro approaches the couch and eyes the bare cushion next to SO. He turns to SO with an expectant gaze and waits. SO responds by grabbing a blanket and arranging it over the cushion, providing Maestro with an extra plush and fuzzy resting spot. Maestro settles in contentedly, but not without a mildly disapproving side glance to communicate to SO that the blanket should have already been set up and waiting for him.

Scene 2
Caramelo is eating his kibble with SO standing at his side. Once every few mouthfuls, Caramelo will glance up at SO with a short, sharp mew which translates to, "I can see the bottom of the bowl!" SO responds by reaching down to shake the dish and redistribute the kibble from sides to center, before straightening back up to wait until he services are required again.

Scene 3
SO comes back from putting a load of laundry in the wash. Maestro sees the empty basket and meows. SO is not allowed to put the laundry basket away until Maestro has had his basket ride. SO lowers the basket, Maestro hops in, and SO hoists the basket onto one shoulder. SO then marches at a deliberate pace through every room of the apartment. Throughout the march, Maestro is sitting up and peering over the edge, his keen eyes surveying every part of his kingdom. He will complain loudly if the tour is cut short. Every room of his domain must be visited.

Thing SO says now:
"We have a couple of very spoiled kitties."

+1

'My wife wanted to have two cats. I wanted us to have one. So we compromised and got three.'

Puget

My legs and two cats are currently sharing one poof footrest in front of the fire. All three are very toasty. Obviously I'm not allowed to get up.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on February 07, 2022, 07:09:42 PM
My legs and two cats are currently sharing one poof footrest in front of the fire. All three are very toasty. Obviously I'm not allowed to get up.

Sounds lovely.

Youngest evil cat got upset with elder evil cat after he rolled over on her (accidentally) and bit him on the neck. She would not let go and I had to tap her on the butt to get her to stop!

Larimar

Calico, OrangeGuy, and Twerp found a stink bug in the house this morning. I swooped in with a plastic dish and put it outside. I petted and praised them and told them they were good kitties and mighty hunters, but they were still disappointed that I interrupted their fun.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Larimar on February 08, 2022, 05:44:42 AM
Calico, OrangeGuy, and Twerp found a stink bug in the house this morning. I swooped in with a plastic dish and put it outside. I petted and praised them and told them they were good kitties and mighty hunters, but they were still disappointed that I interrupted their fun.

Recognition is nice, but a kill would have been even better.