News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QB, nudge from the grid to get 2 unfamiliar words. So, I'm learning!

2fer came quickly today.

Parasaurolophus

No joy today, I'm afraid. I may also be too tired, however.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far.

friar, friary, and naif were my last words.

The official solution for LB--gah! I thought I had an original solution.

Two-fer already. My first attempt gave me two words with one unincorporated letter. I tried the second word first, and voila, the other letters arranged themselves into a word.

Posted by: Parasaurolophus
« on: August 03, 2021, 09:42:48 PM »Insert Quote
No joy today, I'm afraid. I may also be too tired, however.

Today is another day,  Parasaurolophus. Good luck with the solutions.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram.  Yesterday, my last word was affray.  A new one for me!  I was trying for QBABM, but I resorted to Shunn for the last word.  I am quite sure that today will not be a QBABM day, but we'll see. 

I also got the "official" solution to yesterday's LB:  cantankerous-six.  Langue_doc, I also thought it would be an original solution—I was very proud of cantankerous

I got a 2fer today on the first try! That doesn't happen very often. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Last 2 words were affray, ramify. I knew from the grid which words I was missing so just started playing with letters. Then looked up definitions.

LB - excoriates-stunk.

Happy solving!

onthefringe

I aspire to someday get 2fers in even less than 20 tries.

Yesterday's was krone-excruciates. Really struggling today — too many consonants!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We got to QB with the help from Shunn for final few words.  I think my final one yesterday was ramify.  Not totally sure why they don't take airfry or rarify, among others.

I got excoriates-sunk yesterday.  Cantankerous is a great word! Very lopsided solution.  I have a couple contenders from my phone that I need to write down and try to work with.  Congrats on your 2fers today, Langue_doc and cathwen!

Good luck to you today, Parasaurolophus! We are also very tired, having been woken out of a dead sleep by panicked youngest child whose boyfriend had apparently not gotten home from work or returned her texts and calls for an hour and probably the worst had happened.  Fortunately, it had not.  But unfortunately, I am really tired today.  She just woke up and went to go swimming, so I guess she's doing just peachy! Freaking kids sometimes.  I understand the worry, but argh.

Anyway, happy solving!

ciao_yall

Finally hit QB and learned a few more words from the definitions.

After a quick 3fer this morning... nada. May check the solver site later. I don't like the commenter's hints because they give away too much too soon. ETA: Okay, went there. I had the first word, didn't realize the second was actually a compound. Argh. 

Parasaurolophus

Alas, I fell just short today.

EDIT: Wrote too soon. Got to genius, pangramless.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB and the official LB solution yesterday.

Today, saw the pangram right away and crawled up to genius. That's it, I think, for today.

ab_grp, hope you caught up on your sleep.

Parasaurolophus, remember Scarlett O'Hara's last sentence. Repeat as many times as necessary. Stamp your foot for additional effect.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - New word was hoke. One must hoke something to make it hokey? And dollied as a verb, but I would have thought it was dolleyed.

LB - growths-sandbank. Found growths, but didn't realize sandbank was a compound. Anyone find anything else? Other than one 3fer thanks-sword-dagnab nothing was busting loose.

Anyway, happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram so far.  I am pretty sure that this will be a Shunn day, because I am completely stuck right now.

Yesterday I was hoping for QBABM and got to QB-1.  I tried all sorts of combinations, but just could not get that final word!  I knew it was four letters.  A peek at Shunn told me that the word began with O—and when I looked back at the letters, oleo jumped out at me.  I usually see that early on—it's not as if it's an exotic word, like haboob or goby.  So, QB, but not QBABM. 

Congratulations to all the other QBs!

LB:  I also got the "official" growths-sandbank yesterday—so that makes three of us so far.  I do wonder if anyone else got something different?

I found a 2fer today. 

Happy puzzling, all!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I am struggling today with the bee.  Still have four words to go, not at Alpha yet.  Husband has two words to go, and we know we are each missing a 4-letter but haven't compared beyond that.  Congrats on the QBs yesterday and getting to your goal, Parasaurolophus!

Congrats on getting those 2fers yesterday!! I tried and tried and came up with all sorts of promising contenders, but it wouldn't take a few I wanted it to.  I don't think I would have guessed sandbank, though I think I had both components in other words.  Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen! I hope it's kinder to me today.

Thanks for the good sleep wishes, Langue_doc.  Need to catch up some more, but I definitely feel waaaay better today.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Sending you good vibes for the bee, ab_grp. The four-letter word is probably the one that I remembered encountering in my high school physics class.

Try suffixes--even if you think they don't make sense, you'll get there.

Good luck, everyone.

ab_grp

Thank you, Langue_doc! I regret to say that we gave up and compared and checked Shunn.  We just ran out of time.  There were a couple words that I thought should be in there that weren't, as usual.  But I think the word you are referring to was in my batch of missing ones or may have been husband's final word.  If this means you made it to QB, congrats!! But thank you, regardless.