Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Genius, but no pangram yet.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

It's a weird pangram. My first try didn't take, but it is a word. Expect the Facebook kvetch sites to hit the fan tomorrow. Words like dryland from yesterday are why I have finally settled for GWP unless I really feel like going for the hints section.

Did get a 2fer which is pretty clean so probably official. Maybe I'll find something more fun later.

ab_grp

I finally figured out the pangrams and my last word and got to QBABM, but it was tough! Ciao_yall, I forgot about dryland! That ones got me, too.  Congrats on your 2fer! I don't have one yet but feel very behind today in general despite the extra hour.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius, but no pangram yet.

Yesterday I found the pangrams after much toying around with compounds--I tried comedyyodel, yodelcomedy, and other combos. Missed doomy; doomy?

songbirds/stuck

Long day today, so puzzles have to be put on the back burner.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I also had songbirds-stuck.

Yesterday I found doomy only by desperately adding the -y suffix to random words.  I am trying to think of how it might be used in a sentence:  That person is always so gloomy and doomy!  Maybe...but I don't like it.

Today's SB is at Beta with four words to go, but I am out of ideas.  I have a solution for LB. 

I have some preparation to do for a study group I'm part of which meets tonight over Zoom.  I've been procrastinating, so I have to hop to it and be able to present something credible.   So that, rather than SB, will take up a lot of my day.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - doomy? Whatever. Did get both pangrams yesterday and this morning was my first find. Was crabby yesterday about cyclodome. It's kind of a word.

LB - tucks-songbird. Doesn't look like a lot of variety in answers today.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I've got 5 more words to QB but not at Alpha yet.  At least the pangram was easier! I finally figured them out yesterday, but it took a while to recall what the actual word was I had in mind.  And doomy was my final one.  What in the world?! I also tried cyclodome yesterday.

No luck on LB, so congrats on all the 2fers! And for yours today, cathwen!

Hopefully the day will calm down after a very early morning call from husband's boss.  Ugh.  Lots to do otherwise.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

GWP and a strange 2fer but I'll keep it. My pals on the Facebook LB thread are finding many combinations so I think there will be a lot of solutions.

ab_grp

Down to 4 more words, one point from Alpha! But I did get a 2fer.  Congrats on yours, ciao_yall! I hope there are lots of interesting solutions.

ab_grp

Well, I got to QB, but it was a tough finish.  A couple unfamiliar (or at least less familiar) words in there.

Langue_doc

Found the pangram and a few more words. I think I'm short of 10 or so points. Got a two-fer.

I took the afternoon off (not really off because I made up for it by working yesterday) to go on a hawk watch. This was a short-notice trip and was scheduled for this afternoon because of the winds which were from the northwest. We saw several red-tailed hawks, turkey vultures, an osprey (surprising because they fly south in September and October), and a bald eagle that started out in the distance and then circled above us for some time. There were also several red-shouldered hawks. In retrospect, what I thought was a red-tailed hawk on Saturday must have been a red-shouldered one because of the colors and patterns. I didn't stay until the end, so will find out on Saturday (some of the people on this trip are also on the Saturday one) if the golden eagle they were waiting for made its appearance. There were some peregrine falcons, which like the red-tailed hawks live in the park.

cathwen, this was the first wood thrush that I could observe at close range and also for several minutes as the norm is to see them briefly in the distance.

ab_grp, birds are difficult to identify because of the differences between males and females, adults and juveniles, and whether or not they are breeding. The kinglets do not always have the red or yellow patches on their heads, especially if female, so I need to have them pointed out to me. Here is the link to the golden-crowned kinglet. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Golden-crowned_Kinglet/overview
If you scroll all the way to the bottom, you can see pictures of (and links to) the ruby-crowned kinglets. On one of the pre-pandemic trips a birder told us that what we think of as different species of gulls are actually a single species, but appear to be four different species depending on whether they are year-old or two-year-old juveniles, breeding or non-breeding, male or female. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Herring_Gull/id

Langue_doc

Good morning!

About 20 or so points left. Missed tiepin and tempi yesterday.

penalizes/sucrose

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning, all!

I also had penalizes-sucrose for LB.

Yesterday was a busy day, so before my evening Zoom I went to Wordplay.  Tempi was my next-to-last word, and I am embarrassed that I even needed a hint for my last word, pipeline.  Sigh...

Today I am at genius with the pangram.  I also have a 2fer.

Langue_doc, what a variety of raptors!  Seeing the bald eagle especially must have been thrilling. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Words like tempi really push my buttons.

LB - unrealizes-scope. Also had a few 2fer b4ss localizes-spurn, pouncer-realizes and 3fers coming out of my ears.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I've got 5 words left to QB, but four of them are pretty long! I have no ideas, currently.  Tempi was my last word yesterday.  I was just playing around thinking about tempeh and trying to spell it as tempe.  Not a fan of that one, either.

My LB was calzones-surprise.  A yummy solution.  Lots of sausage and ricotta for me! Different solutions again.  And congrats on getting one today, cathwen!

Langue_doc, I had no idea there was such variety even within a subspecies or that they could look so different based on age or breeding status as well as whether they are male or female.  The Western gulls! Yeek! They look totally different! To me, those male and female golden-crowned kinglets look way more similar than I would expect.  But I love the ruby-crowned male's red tuft! Yay for seeing a bald eagle! I hope the group also got to see the golden eagle.  I looked up the red-tailed and red-shouldered hawks, and it looks as though it could be difficult to tell them apart depending on how they're sitting or moving.  It would be nice if they'd each strike the same pose so that they could be more easily compared.  ;-)  We got to see a fairly large number of bald eagles while floating down the Snake River a decade or so ago.

Happy solving!