News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I have 3 words left, but they are long, so not at Alpha.  It took me approximately one year to get to GN4L today.  I think airily, railcar were my final ones yesterday, and I thought I had already entered them.

No luck on LB.  I did have knothole and tried foxhole as well.  But fauxhawk? That's a no, hawk.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I never did get a 2fer yesterday—eager to see if anyone else did.  The "official" solution was fauxhawk/knothole.  "Fauxhawk"?  Oh well... I had knothole, but couldn't find anything to go with it, and now I guess I know why.  I guess I'm not up on my punk hairstyles (is punk still a thing?).

I did get a 2fer today, after a bit of a struggle.

As for SB, I got to QBWH today (with hints for the last three words), but yesterday I missed a bunch of words I should have gotten.  The last word was carryall.  Sigh...

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

So far today, GwP and a 3fer.

Langue_doc

Evening!

I'm relieved I didn't spend any time on LB yesterday as I would never have thought that fauxhawk (or whatever it was) was a real word.

Got the pangram and I think I got to genius before the long road trip. Sat in traffic for at least half the way, which wasn't fun, but got to where I needed to be and be with people I enjoy being with.

Probably not much puzzling until I get back early next week.

Parasaurolophus

2 pangrams, just a few points shy of genius. Oh well.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pang ram and genius so far.

It's Christmas Eve, so happy festivities with family and friends. Puzzling is optional.

cathwen

Good morning! 

I also am at genius with the pangram.  I have a bunch of 4L words to find, according to nytbee.com, but struggling to find them.  Lots of baking to do today! So I'm not at all sure I'll be able to track down the missing words.

LB yesterday was different from the "official" answer:  I had colophons-stultify.  I found a 2fer today with a lot less trouble than yesterday. 

Langue_doc, enjoy your visit! 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

GwP yesterday and only weird words missed: aquatint, cinquain, quanta, quintain. GwP today again.

Just 3fers yesterday and so far lots of 3fers today, plus a "ship" so hoping for a 2fer soon. It's been a while since I got one. I fear I'm losing practice. I'll blame it on PTSD from fauxhawk.

Happy solving! And Happy Whatever You Celebrate!

Parasaurolophus

GWP today, too. Also missed the weird ones yesterday.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning!

After really struggling with GN4L since absolutely all the other words were needed to get to genius, I finally got there.  Now husband and I each have two 4s left but haven't compared so aren't sure if they are the same ones.   I think aquatint, quanta were two of the ones I needed help with yesterday.  And I have a list of words that weren't accepted that I think should have been.  And more of the same today!

No luck on LB, so congrats, cathwen!  Those are some good words! And congrats on another one today!

Ciao_yall, it sounds as though you are close as well, so good luck!

Enjoy visits and other holiday time! Ours will be fairly low key.  Daughter heads to her mom's today since this is the bigger day for them, then she's back briefly for brunch with us tomorrow.  We are surprising her with eggnog pancakes that we pretested while she was away last week.  Husband is making us roasted lamb and dressing for tonight/tomorrow, and we'll probably have brussels sprouts or some such with it.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

ab_grp

Yay! Got a 2fer on my first try!

ETA: totally forgot to mention QBABM!

Parasaurolophus

No 2fer today, but am definitely close.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pang ram (my first word) and above genius.

Happy celebrating/eating/relaxing!

Today's the big eating day.

ETA: two-fer!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram.  Yesterday I got QBABM!  I don't see that happening today, but we'll see. 

I had the "official" conquest/tardy for LB.  Today I have a 2fer as well.

Ab_grp, your menu sounds wonderful!  We're having individual beef Wellingtons with cheddar rolls, mashed potatoes (my husband's specialty), and tricolor salad (also one of his specialities).  I'm making apple crisp for dessert—not flashy, but one of my husband's favorites and can be downsized so as not to leave leftovers, since we're leaving tomorrow and won't be back until Tuesday. 

Happy celebrating, everyone, and happy puzzling!