News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QBwH for 2 new words anoxia, taxon. LB bracelet-towing.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB with hints for anoxia and (sigh) nonfat.  Today I have four words to go, but may need hints if I haven't found them by dinner time.

LB:  I also had bracelet-towing.  I found a 2fer today as well.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to a bit past genius with pangram.  We ended up with team QB.  I needed help with afoot, and he needed help with fontina.

I did get a different 2fer but with a word I guessed: bacteriological-lown.  I am committing myself to looking up unfamiliar words it accepts for my solutions.  Apparently, lown means calm or quiet.  I had bracelet but couldn't find a mate!  Ugh!  That would have been a wee bit easier.  Congrats! And congrats on another today, cathwen!

I agree with you, Langue_doc.  I wonder if folks even bother submitting missing words anymore.  Of course, Sam and co. might not take usage from a competitor as evidence of good usage.  ;-) 

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius this morning.

Glad I didn't have the time to chase down the remaining words yesterday, because I wouldn't have found the x words.

ab_grp, I was particularly annoyed about bended because this was a feasible word in a recent puzzle and, as usual, I tried to see if the bee would accept it. I was tempted to try foxnation yesterday but decided against it ;-).

Got the inspection done, and also the complimentary full circle check, thanks to the dealer (I bought the car, used, from the dealer three years ago two days from today) and have been taking it there ever since. Got my hair cut last week, so other than the packing for about two weeks, I'm all set for my vacation (non-work-related workshop next week, and then visiting friends on the way back).

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Woo! Got a 2fer on my first try! I am guessing it will be schmofficial.

That's a lot of trip prep to get done, Langue_doc! Hopefully it's an enjoyable workshop and vacation. 

Langue_doc

Congrats ab_grp!

Just got a two-fer, hope it isn't the same as the official one. QB too.

ab_grp

Wahoo! Congrats on the 2fer and QB, Langue_doc! I still have a couple words left on the bee and am currently stumped but will keep at it.

Parasaurolophus

Genius, no pangram in sight.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBw2LL, last word mayhem.

LB cave-exhausting, excavating-gush. Hmm, kind of a short story there?

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius and pangram and a bit more so far.  We had team QB, but I was missing lemma, mecca, mayhem, among others.  I usually get those!

For LB, my first one was cave-extinguish, but I thought it might be schmofficial so tried again and got excavating-gush.  I guess I was right!

I am trying to get used to bifocals.  I didn't realize it was a thing that they are so difficult to get used to and that there is so much brain training involved! But I like them so far and we don't have stairs or curbs to worry about.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

50 words and 219 points so far, but that's about it for today.

Last word yesterday was hammy--didn't think it was a real word, but tried it all the same.

excavating/gush--great minds think alike.

ab_grp, hope you get used to your bifocals and that they work for your eyes. I tried a pair a long time ago, and decided that I would be better off with two different pairs of glasses. Now that I'm decataracted, I don't have to worry about glasses for driving, but sometimes still resort to my old reading glasses.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning/afternoon!

Beta and pangram so far.  Yesterday my last word was lamely, which I thought I already had.  And I didn't think hammy was a real word, either, Langue_doc.   I don't even know why I tried it!  (Desperation?)

LB:  Congratulations to those who found two solutions!  I had cave-exhausting.  No 2fer yet today, though!

Ab_grp, you'll get used to those glasses!  I've been wearing progressive lenses for a very long time and love them.  It did take a little adjustment in going down stairs, but now I don't even think about it.

Happy puzzling!

cathwen

ab_grp

I just got a 2fer, which I do not think will be schmofficial.  Whew, that was a chore!! Congrats on yours, cathwen!

Thanks for the support for the bifocals, Langue_doc and cathwen.  I watched some videos and see that the adjustment and brain retraining can go more quickly if one wears the glasses as often as possible.  I guess these are considered progressive, since there is no bifocal line, which makes it a little more challenging to figure out what part to look out of for various tasks, and I am trying to remember to turn my head instead of only moving my eyes.  I had glasses/contacts before the lasik, but that was quite a while ago at this point.  I very recently picked up some cheap reading glasses from Amazon, so it is definitely an interesting change! I'm also getting used to glasses fogging up again and figuring out whether there is a smudge or some area is just blurry.  I don't need them for driving, and I am not going to wear them during exercising, at least not until I get better with spatial awareness!

Langue_doc

Got a two-fer as well.

ab_grp, isn't it amazing that you can watch videos on practically anything? It's just a matter of getting used to new eyes (post cataract) and new glasses, so you'll get the hang of your glasses soon.