News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QB, guessed at captcha but needed a hint for attach /facepalm.

LB kerchief-foxglove.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Haven't gotten too far on the bee yet in favor of the relatively-easy-for-a-Thursday crossword, but I do have one pangram and about 88 points.  Of course, I have some work to do with three more pangrams and a billion more points left.  Yesterday I think I got to about three words left before we compared, but we didn't have team QB, as we both missed and had to look up hints for (and then look up the word based on the definition) chuppah.  I also needed first-letter help with attach, catchup.

No real time for LB, so congrats getting the solution, cathwen and ciao_yall!

Happy birthday to your grandson, cathwen! Becoming a teen is a big threshold to cross.  I know how you feel about missing the more cuddly days of youth but appreciating the conversations more. 

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Well, I finally got to genius and think I have all 4 pangrams.  And I have a couple pretty good contenders but no 2fer yet.

Parasaurolophus

Stalled at amazing with just one pangram.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Almost genius, no pangram yet.

It turned out that I had all four pangrams; didn't realize until this morning that pelican was one of them.

NYT, I did not have
Quotea stroke of Genius yesterday.
I missed just a few words. Could you at least use the correct terminology or words for scoring well above genius/almost QB?

Happy solving!

ETA Pangram and genius.

cathwen

Good morning!

I gave up yesterday with ten words to go.  It was just too long and tedious, and when I hadn't found all the words by 5:00, I went to hints to find the rest.  The last word was celiac.

Today might be similar, even though it's a shorter Bee.  I'm almost at Beta with five words to go. 

Langue_doc, we definitely need to let Sam know about our Alpha and Beta categories! 

SB:  I had the "official" beam-musicology.  I have a 2fer today also.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwatHICG - missed cancan (again, gah), cannellini, lenience and some new-ish words epicine, incipience, pellicle.

LB symbolism-mucilage.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and managed to get to genius with some memory luck.  Yesterday I finally made it to genius with the pangrams and then still had something like 17 words left when we finally quit for the day! Husband had been at work, so no phone and about no progress on the bee, so since it was nearly 8 PM by the time he got home we just compared our lists.  Sadly, we did not get team QB, as we were both missing two words: ipecac, cannellini.  I think I thought we had the latter because the similar pangram was stuck in my head.  Oh well! He had to help me with cancan, lenience, epicine, incipience, but I was able to give him pellicle, which I guessed because I always think that there is a word like cellicle.

No luck on LB.  Congrats, cathwen and ciao_yall! I had symbolism but couldn't find a mate and wouldn't have found mucilage! And I had music but that's about it for the other.  Congrats on another today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Just got QB and a 2fer!

Parasaurolophus

GWP.

Tried the chess puzzles the other day. They were fun.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius, but no pangram yet.

Last word yesterday was gainly, whatever that means. Found the usual suspects early on.

vicious/shameful

cathwen, must be exciting for grandson to hit the teens. Children grow up so fast. Reminded me of neighbor's kid who was a baby when I moved here, then graduated to saying 'hi' and 'bye' when I left for work, and then further graduated to bringing me food (solemn-looking child outside door, bearing plate of food, saying "Lang, do you like pork?", who now has his first summer job.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Alpha with pangram this morning, two words left, but just not seeing them.  Yesterday my last words were nanny and nannying

LB:  I had the "official" viscous-shameful.  I also have a 2fer today.

Langue_doc, it is fun to see kids grow up and come into their own!  I had a great conversation with my grandson on his birthday.  He is passionate about marine biology and ecology and enjoys telling me about what he's learned, and I am always eager to listen.

Anyway—happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Stopped a bit past genius with the pangram to work on other puzzles.  Yesterday my final words were glazy, zingy, I think, and they were guesses.

I also had vicious-shameful.  Cathwen, congrats on getting another today, and good luck with your final two bee words!

Parasaurolophus, I agree that the chess thing is pretty fun (and educational for those of us who aren't great chess players)!

Your young neighbor sounds very sweet, Langue_doc. 

I have a friend call for a while today but am going to try to get more puzzling in to make up for all the housework I did yesterday.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB, needed hints to remember to put "-ing" on inlaying, nannying.

LB just a 3fer coif-famous-shovel. Just wasn't coming together.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.