News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Congrats on the QB yesterday, Langue_doc! And we have to keep remembering that genius is the official top title, so certainly something to celebrate, Parasaurolophus! Each bee is a new opportunity.  Guessing the bandanna spelling took others a while, too? I got to 108 today, so still not Alpha and am stuck. 

As for the LB yesterday, I got the same solution as cathwen and ciao_yall.  Didn't even think of troglodyte or anything near that.  Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen.  Ciao_yall, you sound like you are heading right towards one.

I feel way better than yesterday, so hopefully I can crack the sudokus again and get some other successes, but that seems unpredictable.

Happy solving!

OneMoreYear

I thought the pangram perfectly summed up my feelings on today (at least in one definition of it)

Parasaurolophus

Thank you for your indefatigable encouragement, ab_grp!

I'm only halfway there so far today, but I expect words will start leaping out at me in the evening.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: OneMoreYear on March 11, 2021, 10:12:30 AM
I thought the pangram perfectly summed up my feelings on today (at least in one definition of it)

Yep! I finally got over the hump to Alpha (116), but I don't have a lot of confidence in getting to QB today.

Some good contenders for LB, so we'll see.  And I did manage to get the sudokus solved, at least.

ciao_yall

2fer (YAY), but in that sticky slow part of SB. There are words that are probably easy but just not coming to mind. And I get crabby when what I think is a real word doesn't go through.

cathwen

I am within *one word* of QB--and eight points--so it's a long one.  For the life of me, I can't imagine what it is. The pangram is now seeming especially relevant. 

Congratulations on your 2-fer, ciao_yall! 

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fer, ciao_yall! There were a couple words that the bee didn't accept today that I thought it should have.

And cathwen, maybe we need the same one darned 8-letter word! Good luck!

Langue_doc

If anyone wants a hint for the eight letter word, let me know.

Congrats on the two-fers. Am on the Kindle, so have to be brief.

ciao_yall

I'm missing one word, the first one alphabetically that starts with a T.

Langue_doc

How many letters?

Parasaurolophus

Got there (beta, including pangram) in the end.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 11, 2021, 09:29:12 PM
Got there (beta, including pangram) in the end.

That's quite an accomplishment!

ab_grp, did you make it to QB? Were you, cathwen and ciao_yall looking for the same word? I found teletext by trying different configurations. My last word was elite; I found tipple and tittle early on.

Made it to genius; the pangram was my second word.

LB: checklist/tardy

Good morning and happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Made it to genius easily this morning, pangram and all. Further heights await!
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning! 

I never did find that last word yesterday—it was expellee.  I thought I had tried that, but perhaps I did not double the l.  Oh well!  Was that the word others were looking for?  I made genius on today's. 

My LB yesterday was threads-sickly.  I have found a solution for today's LB.  Now I can get on with my life!

Congratulations on beta, Parasaurolophus!  And congratulations on genius today!

ciao_yall

SB - even with hints from the comments, could not figure out "teletext." Didn't know that was a thing. Already at genius on today's puzzle - a short one.

LB - threads-slickly or threads-sickly. This morning I have a 2fer but it wouldn't take my second word, probably because some would find it offensive. Already have plenty of tight 3fers so should get there soon.