News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Genius and rather unbalanced 2fer, but I'll keep it.

ab_grp congrats on QBABYS! (Queen Bee All By Yourself!) I have yet to achieve this feat. I always need to peek into the Wordplay crowd.

ab_grp

Thanks! And a new term, QBABYS, on top of it.  I'm glad I got to it because I feel like I have been flagging at the end.  There's just something about finding out I just have one more word that's eight letters that just makes me want to give up for some reason.  I had been helping husband set up his Nextdoor account because he's been having FOMO about all the wacky arguments going on there, flipped back to the bee and saw the final word.  Which I would have kicked myself if I had missed!

Anyway, now I am stuck on the hard sudoku still, got a few more contenders on LB but no joy yet, and have to decide between getting tax forms together and starting the precalculations or working more on a journal article review.  Hmm.

You're close to QB, Langue_doc! Congrats on Alpha! No, I didn't think the list was too hard.  There are a couple that I might consider bee words, one I thought was a proper noun (but I guess the proper noun was named after it?), the one I would have kicked myself about.   Nothing that I thought "what in the world is that!" If you get stuck and want a hint, let me know.  As for LB yesterday, I guess PENUMBRAE-EQUANIMITY would also have worked, but you went the extra mile to make a cleaner solution out of it.  Huzzah!

Congrats on your 2fer today, ciao_yall! You will get to be QBABYS soon!

cathwen

Congratulations on the QB, ab_grp!

I got the "official" solution yesterday on LB.  I had been hoping to do something with quarantine, since it's so topical, but couldn't find a word to make with the remaining letters. 

Today's SB is at 159, so genius with the pangram.  More work to do, obviously!  And I have found a 2-fer for today's LB.

Langue_doc

Congrats on the two-fers ciao_yall and cathwen. I'm still stuck.

As for the proper nouny word you are thinking of, ab_grp, I missed the word on one of the earlier puzzles, thinking that it was a proper noun. I remembered to enter it today. Finally made it!

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fer today, cathwen! I didn't even see quarantine yesterday.  Good luck with the bee.

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! Glad you remembered the word! I just try everything that comes to mind anymore.  Hopefully we can achieve success on the LB, too, though I know the new sudokus are out.

Parasaurolophus

Well done, everyone!

I just made it to genius (with the pangram). Not sure I have what it takes to get much further, but we'll see.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 13, 2021, 03:30:19 PM
Well done, everyone!

I just made it to genius (with the pangram). Not sure I have what it takes to get much further, but we'll see.

If you go to the Crossword puzzle column and look at Comments / Reader Picks the SB crowd does a great job of setting up hints, from vague to fairly direct.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/12/crosswords/daily-puzzle-2021-03-13.html#commentsContainer

ab_grp and Langue_doc were kind enough to send a few hints, so I found a few more words but still not there. I bet I'm missing some really easy ones.

Langue_doc

Several words with double consonants in the middle...

Thanks for the link!

ab_grp

Yes, thanks, ciao_yall! I found a LB clue in it again and got a 2fer nothing like what I had been exploring.  I swear this morning when I took my post-crossword look at the comments to see what people had thought of it, there was an LB post right at the top, but I didn't want to see any giveaways at that point. 

Good luck, Parasaurolophus! The bee clues are easy to find there and do seem well thought out. 

ciao_yall

Thanks to ab_grp and langue-doc I finally hit QB! Would never have gotten those last two on my own.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on March 13, 2021, 04:39:02 PM
Yes, thanks, ciao_yall! I found a LB clue in it again and got a 2fer nothing like what I had been exploring.  I swear this morning when I took my post-crossword look at the comments to see what people had thought of it, there was an LB post right at the top, but I didn't want to see any giveaways at that point. 

Good luck, Parasaurolophus! The bee clues are easy to find there and do seem well thought out.

Yeah, there are a few LB clues here and there but that crowd is hard to find. Bee is always at the top of "Reader Picks," so if I haven't found my 2fer yet I sort of look away until I'm on the safe panel.

cathwen

Good afternoon!  (Good grief, is it afternoon already?)

Lots of QBs yesterday—congratulations to Langue_doc, ciao_yall, and ab_grp!  I came close—I missed lollpop and tentpole, words I've missed before.  One of these days I'll learn!

Parasaurolophus, congratulations on genius!  That is nothing to sneeze at, as my mother would have said. 

Today's SB is at Beta (184), and now I'm running out of steam.  Time to go away and then come back later.

Yesterday's LB had a more efficient "official" answer than mine—I got refresh-hyperbolic.  I have an 2fer for today as well—normal words, although the second is on the slangy side.

ab_grp

Good whatever!

Luckily the change of time didn't change our waking up, but I am confused.  Not sure when to do what at this point.   Losing an hour puts a kink in things!

Glad the hints helped, ciao_yall! Congrats on the QB!

I'm at Alpha (206), so I don't think there are enough points left for a second pangram.  Good luck when you return to the bee, cathwen! You are well on your way.

Got the official 2fer yesterday with help from the Wordplay comments, but I'll try to get a 2fer today. 

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Morning!

Just above genius; used the hint from the comments for the two-fer.

Aarrgghh! Windows, don't upgrade without my permission. Now I have to reset everything on the desktop and the laptop.

Happy solving!

ETA: Eek! Ain't morning no more.

ciao_yall

With lots of help from ab_grp and Langue_doc, finally got lollop and poppet to achieve QB. Never would have found those on my own. Lollop is an archaic word related to trot or gallop. Poppet is an archaic word for doll.

Parasaurolophus Normally I just declare victory at "genius." I might poke in and out during the day, but there are too many weird words that one learns by doing the Bee. Though over time, I have been learning them... then I get cranky because it won't take words I think it should.

LB - Yesterday got fish-hyperbolic which looks like the official solution. Anyone get anything else?

Happy solving!