News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Wait, what! I was just coming here to say I just got to QB with 166 points and 33 words.   Are we doing different puzzles?! My letters are (I)OUNTCF.

Congrats on your QB and 2fer!

ciao_yall

ab_grp I just came on to note that I went to add a few more words and boom, there was a new puzzle. The first one had F-L-M-N-O-R-U can't recall the required letter off the top of my head. Now it's the one you just named. Wouldn't take cunic. Grr.

Now I have 2 geniuses on my accomplishments for the day.

Langue_doc

There are two versions--the one that I completed had F L N M O R U. Now I have a new puzzle with the letters mentioned by ab_grp.

The bee is really messed up today.

ETA1 Perhaps the one I completed is tomorrow's puzzle?

Will try for a double QB, ab_grp.

ETA2 Genius on the second puzzle and a pangram.

ab_grp

That is SO wacky, ciao_yall!! So I guess you all get another puzzle to do! I was kind of hoping it would reset to a different one for me, but I probably started it later.  I will tell you, I thought the one I did was pretty easy.  I had been confused when you said it wouldn't take funroom or orlon but didn't think too much of it.  Weirdness.

Good luck, Langue_doc, if you do the second puzzle.  You could get a double QB today! This might be your only chance!

reener06

What is going on? Where did my genius go? Dammit. Starting all over. Heads will roll.

ab_grp

Just think, those of you doing both puzzles get double the accomplishments!

Langue_doc, I'm so glad you're trying for the double QB.  I kind of feel like I'm essentially encouraging you to "chug! chug! chug!", but in a less fratty and more nerdy way.  I will be so, so excited if you get it, which I'm sure you will! I am excited either way. 

reener06

Double genius. The second one was easier to get than the first. Not QB on either. NYTBee has a big message about the error and how they can't provide answers on the second one until after work.

ab_grp

It's great that you get to be genius^2 today, reener06!

I have had no success on LB today.  I have a couple contenders, including one that only leaves 2 letters, which I have been too focused on finding a mate for.  I guess I'll have to abandon that and work on some of the other contenders.  Sigh!

Langue_doc

Double Queen! ab_grp, I decided to chug along since you had solved the puzzle around noon. Thank you for the encouragement. I took pictures of both puzzles as I kept the first window open, and did the second puzzle on a new one.

I saw a complaint on Twitter about the bee disallowing "consummated intimacy". This has been a pet peeve of mine too.

Sending you a hint for LB ab_grp.

Hope everyone is making progress on the bee--all familiar words today.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 24, 2021, 09:30:04 AM
ab_grp I just came on to note that I went to add a few more words and boom, there was a new puzzle. The first one had F-L-M-N-O-R-U can't recall the required letter off the top of my head. Now it's the one you just named. Wouldn't take cunic. Grr.

Now I have 2 geniuses on my accomplishments for the day.

Same here! Off to try puzzle 2 now.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 24, 2021, 05:14:38 PM
Double Queen! ab_grp, I decided to chug along since you had solved the puzzle around noon. Thank you for the encouragement. I took pictures of both puzzles as I kept the first window open, and did the second puzzle on a new one.

I saw a complaint on Twitter about the bee disallowing "consummated intimacy". This has been a pet peeve of mine too.

Sending you a hint for LB ab_grp.

Hope everyone is making progress on the bee--all familiar words today.

HooooooooooooooooooRAY! Langue_doc, you are 2Q2B.  Like 2 Fast 2 Furious.  Congratulations!!!!!!!! I'm glad you went with it, because I definitely thought you could get it.  You may be the only one to ever achieve that extremely awesome achievement!

And thank you so much for the hint! I got the 2fer! Husband has been trying with my long contender but still hasn't had success.  I don't know that it's possible, sadly.

Good luck, Parasaurolophus! I agree with Langue_doc, that this one was pretty familiar, so not bad at all compared to some recent ones.

Parasaurolophus

Got number two! Whew!

And super well done, Langue_doc!
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Three pangrams and genius today. The last word in yesterday's first puzzle was moonroof and in the second one, coffin. I got finito and tinct early on. I suspect I was able to complete both puzzles because of the timing. I must have seen the first one when it was finally published and saw the second one because ab_grp was referring to quite a different puzzle in terms of the points required for QB.

For LB my first attempt resulted in fountain/nephew with the d left over, so I tried to find another n-ending word. This gave me foundation/nephew.

Happy solving!

ETA This headline reminded me of a recent LB: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/nyregion/nightlife-burlesque-nyc.html

cathwen

Good morning!  Congratulations on all successes yesterday, but especially to Langue_doc for the double QB!  Wow and double wow!

I was a double genius yesterday.  I missed coif and intuit on the second puzzle.  And I even had intuition!  I like to flatter myself that I would have found both words if I had returned to the puzzle after dinner.  But who knows.  Sometimes I can be unbelievably word blind. 

Today, I reached genius with three pangrams.  Apparently I have 11 words to go until QB...so we'll see. Today I have to buckle down and get some serious work done, but this afternoon I have an online "office student hour" during which no one will come—so I'll save some of the puzzling fun for then. 

Like Langue_doc, I had foundation-nephew for LB yesterday.  And I have found a 2fer for today.  Did anyone find a different combination yesterday?

ciao_yall

Yep, foundation-nephew yesterday. Found a 3fer pretty quickly so hope a 2fer will come soon.

Double genius yesterday. Genius and 2 pangrams this morning so far.

Happy solving!