News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Great to hear that you had a fun time, ciao_yall! It's not easy in any case to do anything other than basic cooking while also trying to throw a dinner party, so it's great that it turned out well.  And the wine sounds good!

I finally looked at LB and ended up with a 2fer right off the bat, which is definitely unusual for me.  I didn't realize one of the words could be spelled that way, so I'm glad I tried it.  Good luck with the 2fer, ciao_ayll!

ciao_yall

Got a 2fer! Didn't think it was a word but I took a page from cathwen and tried it!

cathwen

I'll be curious to see what you got for your 2fers!  A word with an odd spelling?  A word that didn't seem like a word?  Mine are normal words, for a change!  It will be fun to compare.

SB is at Beta with eight words to go.  Not sure I'll get all that much further.  I do have the pangram, though, which is a word I've missed in the past. 

Ciao_yall, that must have been fun last night.  I'm sure everyone enjoyed the dinner and that it was delicious, even if you felt out of practice.

My husband just left to sing with a quartet (a subset of the chorus he sings with)—all are fully vaccinated and have not sung together in person for over a year.  Singing is one of those things he must do to be happy, so this is a special day for him. 

ab_grp

Cathwen, to be fair, I just may not know how my word is actually spelled. ;-) It is normal, but I just thought it had another letter in there.  Congrats on beta and the pangram! And I'm glad your husband is getting to do something he has been looking forward to for a while!

Got to QB, though! It was impure, because I knew how long the final word was and what it started with since husband had it.  I will call it team QB again.

And congrats on the 2fer, ciao_yall.  Maybe we have the same one!

cathwen

QB!  Wow and congratulations, ab_grp!  I've just clawed my way to Alpha.  Six words, thirty points to go.  Argh.

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen, and good luck (and congrats on Alpha!)! I don't think there were any tough words today, just a lot of beekeeping.  And trying various suffixes and combos, etc.  I guess there are a couple that might be considered bee or crossword words, but they show up now and again, so hopefully they won't cause you trouble.

Langue_doc

The crossword took a long time to complete but made it just before 6. Still behind on the other puzzles.

Parasaurolophus

I've hit genius, but no pangram yet.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 25, 2021, 04:54:21 PM
I've hit genius, but no pangram yet.

Ditto. If anyone feels like sending a hint on the pangram, pm me.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB yesterday. Genius and a pangram today.

LB: thankful/libations; can't wait to hear the "not quite a word" solutions.

ciao_yall, I hope you understood that I was trying to explain lollygag with the two consonants; after sending you the PM I realized that there was also a y! I couldn't be more specific as the kindle keeps autocorrecting.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on QB, Langue_doc!  I missed dogleg, doglegged, and odea.  But at least I remembered lollygag/lollygagged from a previous puzzle!

I also got thankful-libations on yesterday's LB.  I am also eager to see what other people got!

Today's SB:  genius with pangram.  LB:  2fer with normal words.

Now for sudoku!  Happy puzzling, everyone!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc! I think my final word was doggedly.  Gotta keep adding suffixes.

Today I'm at 135, so still not Alpha, with three words left.  Of course they are longer words, per usual.

My LB solution was oboist-thankful.  I thought oboist had an e in it, so I almost didn't try it, but they took it.  Fine with me! I like libations better, though.

Congrats on your 2fer already today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

SB - Oh well, I hit genius anyway. I never did find lollygag before finding genius so probably would have found the pangram. One of those weird words.

LB - I had boast-thinkful. Didn't think it would take, but there you go!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Hey, if they takes it, they takes it.

I got a 2fer! I originally thought I could have had a more interesting 2fer, b4ss.  Kind of glad that initial mate didn't work out!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on April 26, 2021, 08:45:36 AM
SB - Oh well, I hit genius anyway. I never did find lollygag before finding genius so probably would have found the pangram. One of those weird words.

Same here. I never find lollygag.

Today's Bee seems tough, unless it's just me.
I know it's a genus.