News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning! SB wouldn't take otic yesterday, which is odd because it usually takes certain medical and scientific terms. ototillic? New word...

ETA: Amazing with pangram, genius should tip soon. ETA^2: Genius! Now for the quest for QB.

LB - nonverbal-licitly Haven't looked yet this morning.

ETA: Quick 2fer.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fers today, cathwen, Langue_doc, and ciao_yall! And yet another different solution to yesterday's contributed by ciao_yall.

Langue_doc, I meant to mention that I had also thought coir hadn't previously been accepted, and I think I tried it because I recalled you had mentioned that much earlier in the thread.  I could be wrong about that, but either way you are to thank for me coming up with it yesterday!

ETA: Yay, got a 2fer! And sudokus done (until new ones come out this afternoon).  Back to the bee shortly.

ab_grp

Got to QB! I don't think there were any weird words, just hard to figure out what to do with the Y at times.  Good luck!

cathwen

One 8-point word away from QB, and I am stumped.  Congratulations on your success, ab_grp!

ETA:  Woo-hoo!  Got it! 

ab_grp

Yahoo! Congrats, cathwen! I was stumped for a bit at the end there, too, but with different words.

Langue_doc

Congrats, all. Finally made it to QB. Finally, because I've been stuck on Vertex and so didn't get to continue on the bee until now. Not only have I not made any progress beyond about 10 connections, but this is the first time I've been stuck as I've always managed to complete Vertex soon after tackling the bee.

ab_grp, I might have complained about coir not being accepted on this thread. The letters appear quite frequently in the puzzles, but the word has never been accepted until today. There might have been several complaints, hence the change.

Looking forward to seeing our LB solutions tomorrow. I hope we have different solutions as these are much more interesting than the ones in the NYT.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! I appreciate any complaining you did here that prompted my remembering that word! Good luck with Vertex, and I agree that our solution group typically beats the schmofficial one.   I kind of wish it would tell me if I found the schmofficial solution so I would know to try to work on finding another one. ;-)  Well, I guess I should be happy if I get one at all.  Mine came too easily, so I might need to look for a second (more interesting) one.   

ETA: Okay, I've found two more, totally different, solutions for LB and am going to try to find more.  At least two are not the schmofficial one! Ha, LB!

Parasaurolophus

Made it to genius with the pangram, and found an easy LB 2er. Whew!
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning, everyone!

Parasaurolophus, congratulations on genius and the easy 2fer!  And ab_grp—I can't wait to see what you got for LB.  Several solutions—wow!

Today's SB is one of those high-points one, but most of the words are easy ones.  I have gotten to Alpha with seven words to go.  I'm stumped at the moment, but will keep going back to it.

LB:  Yesterday I had voice-equestrian.  I have also found one for today.

Langue_doc, I agree that yesterday's Vertex was really hard!  It took me an age to get all the connections right.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Congrats on genius and the 2fer, Parasaurolophus!

I'm at 353/67 today, so one more word to QB! Hopefully that one will make itself evident.  Good luck, cathwen! I know you will get to QB! I agree, easy words so far, just some beekeeping.

For LB, I ended up with 5 solutions, though none were schmofficial.  I should have gotten that one! I got the same as cathwen, plus conquest-trivia, avaricious-sequent, quartic-conserve, and contrivances-square.  Can't wait to see what everyone else found! And congrats on getting a 2fer already today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Above 300 on the bee.

equestrian/novice

Happy solving, all.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 08, 2021, 03:53:41 PM
Made it to genius with the pangram, and found an easy LB 2er. Whew!

Congrats!

SB - yesterday could have made QB but petered out somewhere along the way. All words I could have and should have gotten, except maybe nonmayoral.

LB - conquest-trivia and while I rarely go back for seconds, came back to convictions-square.

Happy solving, everyone. Just barely getting started so no much excitement to report.

ETA: Genius, 2fer.

Parasaurolophus

My LB was quartic-covens.

I have three pangrams today and am about 30 shy of genius. I think I'll see if a break dislodges anything. And I suppose I should take a stab at LB.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Wow, lots of solutions yesterday! And congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall!

Made it to QB, so good luck out there.  No luck on LB so far, and still struggling with hard sudoku.

cathwen

Yippee!  QB! 

Congratulations, ab_grp, on your QB. 

There sure were a lot of answers to yesterday's LB!  I wonder how much variety there will be with today's?