News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Blah, haven't been able to devote enough time to the bee today. Found the pangram but will end 40 short.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

33 words and 155 points so far. It took some effort to find the pangram.

stewardship/ping

ab_grp, I have the same fonts for LB on all the devices. I recall noticing a few months ago that one of the puzzles had different fonts on different devices, but am not too sure of the details. I do all the puzzling on the kindle, but checked the computer and the phone yesterday after seeing your post.

Happy solving, all!

ETA. QB! Easy words today.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 15, 2021, 09:22:48 PM
Blah, haven't been able to devote enough time to the bee today. Found the pangram but will end 40 short.

I had a last look as I was bedding down and made it. Phew!
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB: Yesterday - missed a bunch I should have gotten, although I recognized landau but may never have guessed it. At genius pretty quickly this morning.

LB - dearths-swiping which may be a commentary on Sam's luck these days with Tinder? This morning - some progress but no 3fers yet.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I was one word short of QB yesterday, and I am almost embarrassed to say what it was:  unladed.  I had unladen and unlade, and laded—and I thought I had put in unladed.  But no.  Oh well!

Today I am at genius with the pangram. 

We have quite a variety of LBs from yesterday!  Mine was twinges-sharped..  After a lot of fiddling, I found a 2fer today. 

Congratulations, Parasaurolophus, on your success yesterday!  And Langue_doc, on making QB already today!

ciao_yall

Quote from: cathwen on May 16, 2021, 09:05:59 AM
Good afternoon!

I was one word short of QB yesterday, and I am almost embarrassed to say what it was:  unladed.  I had unladen and unlade, and laded—and I thought I had put in unladed.  But no.  Oh well!

Today I am at genius with the pangram. 

We have quite a variety of LBs from yesterday!  Mine was twinges-sharped..  After a lot of fiddling, I found a 2fer today. 

Congratulations, Parasaurolophus, on your success yesterday!  And Langue_doc, on making QB already today!

Congrats on your LB-fu. I have a 3fer and a few words that use up tricky letters but hasn't come together yet.

ETA: 2fer! Now waiting for husband to pass over the crossword so I can finish it.

Parasaurolophus

Whew, easy genius and pangram today. Now for LB!
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Just got to QB! 

Hooray for the 2fer, ciao_yall, and for genius, Parasaurolophus!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Well, husband decided to wake me up at 3 AM to take him on a date to Ye Olde Emergency Room.  So as not to bury the lede, he has walking pneumonia (fortunately not a blood clot!), so we were finally sent home after 6 hours with some prescriptions and are both pretty danged tired.  But, since the ER is really not that exciting (if you're lucky, and I am grateful that our trip wasn't due to a more exciting issue), and since the puzzles had come out, I got to spend a fair amount of time on them while trying not to fall asleep.  SO, to the report:

Got to QB after finally remembering three dumb words.  The crossword today was an awful pain and took nearly an hour, but I don't know how much the situation and sleepiness had to do with that.  Congrats on QBs, Langue_doc and cathwen, and on geniuses, ciao_yall and Parasaurolophus! Cathwen, I think husband's final two yesterday were unlade and unladed, despite having unladen.  I forget what mine were.

I found 3 solutions yesterday on LB: prawns-sighted, pageants-wardship, and digraphs-stewing.  Haven't really looked at it today, yet.  Congrats on your 2fers, cathwen and ciao_yall!

As for the font, when I reloaded it on my computer again, it was back to sans serif.  If it happens again, I will try to remember to take a screenshot.

Now trying to catch up on water, food, coffeeeeeeeeeeeeee.  Unfortunately, we have to go back out (or I do) to pick up husband's antibiotic and painkiller later.   And hard sudoku.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Agree on today's Sunday crossword. Plus it's inconsistent.

cathwen

I just finished the crossword.  I agree—it is extremely annoying.  Will Shortz, what were you thinking?

Ab_grp, I send healing vibes to your husband (glad it wasn't as serious as you thought it might be).  And I hope that you are able to get some rest! 

Langue_doc

Sorry to hear about husband's illness, but glad you're both home. Sending healing thoughts and wishes.

ab_grp

Thank you for the kind wishes, cathwen and Langue_doc.  We are both trying to stay awake and to time meds appropriately, etc.  Will be an earlier bedtime than usual, and I hope he can sleep.  It's been too painful for him to lie down, so hopefully the painkillers will at least let him rest in the recliner.  I know he is happy to have the brain-scraping covid test in the rearview among the million tests he had today.  All things considered, could have been worse, and it was much better than the last trip (heart attack).  Truly, truly thankful not to have to stay overnight again.  Just not much to do but take the meds and wait it out.

Finally swung a 2fer! I had come up with what I thought were a couple good contenders but ended up with a solution in a different direction.  Maybe I will try more later with the other contenders.

And I finally finished today's hard sudoku in time for tomorrow's.  It took a very long while.

As for the crossword, I had seen Rex P's tweet decrying it last night, but he is often grouchy about the NYT crossword.  But I was not a fan, and it sounds as though I am not alone on that in this group.  And whew... last time I checked several hours ago, there were nearly 500 Wordplay blog comments.  That is not usually a good sign, and some of them were pretty harsh! Not really undeserved, though, I thought.  Sundays are usually long enough hauls without those kinds of shenanigans.  I didn't even know what the theme stuff meant until I had totally solved it.   Not worth it, in my opinion.

ciao_yall

ab_grp, glad he is doing better and it isn't serious. A few years ago my DH and I did a few trips to the hospital/emergency room for him. Just one thing after another. Became very grateful for health insurance, a reliable car, and some disposable income to afford paying for parking in the garage.

ciao_yall

Morning! Up early to go to the gym. It's right around the corner so I'm not that dedicated. Don't hate me cuz I'm buff.

SB - new word gaff (thought it was spelled gaffe) and a few bee specials I should remember by now - gaga, wanna, wigwag, wigwagging.  Starting this morning fresh!

LB - got the official solution polemic-chintzy. Anyone get anything else?

Happy solving!