News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen, and good luck! I was at QB-2 when I had to get on the scaffolded help train.  Even with Shunn's help, I'm not sure I would have gotten the final two without being able to ask some pointed questions of husband.  It was definitely an impure team QB. 

ciao_yall

I'm heading to Wordplay for definitions because shunn got me nowhere. Looking at my list, it's all ordinary words so I think I need to learn a few more "bee specials" before I can officially don a black belt.

ETA: Still missing one. A few obvious ones, and a few "bee specials" but one I just can't get.

Parasaurolophus

Genius, but no pangram yet.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 02, 2021, 05:32:03 PM
Genius, but no pangram yet.

Try suffixes. There are two pangrams.

QB--I found a couple of words because I kept playing with the letters. There's a compound that I found by trying various combinations with the second word.

Early morning trek to the doctor's so might not post until I get back in the afternoon.

ab_grp

Congrats on QB, Langue_doc! Good luck, ciao_y'all and parasaurolopus!

I finally got a pretty solid 2fer and am looking forward to some dinner, wine, and sleep.

Langue_doc

Morning!

Amazing, but no pangram yet.

quarters/showdown

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - finally did some serious googling to find the last word - goby. So now I know a new word.

LB - throwdowns-square.

Will be taking a vacation and taking a computer break, so see you all next week!

cathwen

Good morning!

I was at QB-1 yesterday and gave up.  Bigeye was the word I missed!  I thought I had tried big with everything, but obviously not!  I got goby just by playing around. Congratulations on QB, Langue_doc!

Today I am at amazing with the pangram.  I do not anticipate QB today; I'll be happy to make genius.

I had the same LB as Langue_doc--quarters-showdown.  But ciao_yall's answer and the "official" solution are giving us some variety!

I do not yet have a 2fer for today--I'm having a hard time with it.  I've found some good words, but they just don't work together.  I'll keep trying, but today is going to be a busy day.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got a late start with some needed extra sleep, but I got to QB without help from husband or Shunn! So maybe the sleep helped.  There were a couple of (what I consider to be) bee words, but not too bad.   It did feel like it took a while today to get anywhere.  Cathwen, bigeye was my final word yesterday, and I needed BI and compound and a hint from husband to find it! Congrats on QB-1! Good luck today!

I had headquarters-snow, so schmofficial, I guess.  I did take a look at the FB thread, but some people had posted answers! I don't know what it is about NYT-based forums, but that seems to happen too often. 

Still have to start sudokus and check out today's LB.

Have a good vacation and computer break, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Well, I did make it to QB today, albeit with help from Shunn.  And I found a 2fer for today's LB, which had been driving me crazy! 

Congratulations on your unaided QB, ab_grp! 

And ciao_yall, enjoy your vacation! 

ab_grp

Congrats on your QB, cathwen! Aided or not! If husband had been closer to QB when I was on my final word or two, we probably would have ended up comparing, but he had a tough time today.  Luckily I found my final word (which was not a difficult one compared to others).  A win is a win! I knew you would make it! And congrats on your 2fer! Sounds like a tough one today.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB; couldn't find a mate for protoplasm; gave up as I wanted this as one of my words.

I think I'm past genius but no pangram. I woke up around 5:30, worked on the bee, and then went back to sleep.

ciao_yall, enjoy your vacation and time off from the computer.

Busy couple of days, and then I'm off traveling. I'll probably check in, but might not have the time to complete the puzzles.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! I also gave up on LB even after enlisting husband's help, but protoplasm is a great word, and I can see why you didn't want to give it up.  Wondering what cathwen found! I was not near the schmofficial solution.  I hope your busy days go well and that you have fun out and about! Who else is planning on abandoning me?! ;-)

Got to 215 today with pangram but still not Alpha and 7 more words to go.  Jeepers! I'm about out of ideas and am still somehow missing two four-letter words, I think.  Yesterday, my final word was niece, of all things.  Not sure why it took so long to find that one.

Time for banana and sudokus and hopefully coffee setting in better.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Langue_doc, I don't blame you for holding out for a mate to protoplasm.  Such a good word!

I had trombonists-sprawl for yesterday's LB.  I have also found a 2fer today.

As for today's SB, I just got to QB, with a small nudge from Shunn for the last word.  Now I can turn my attention to preparing for our oldest daughter's visit tomorrow!  We haven't seen her and her partner since Thanksgiving 2019.  So it will be a busy weekend, with puzzles wedged in during downtime, if at all.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Congrats on QB and your 2fer, cathwen! We made it to QB with Shunn for the final few words, and husband beat me to it.  I am still working on LB.  Hope your visit with your daughter is excellent! Enjoy the weekend!