News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on your quick 2fer, OneMoreYear!  I found a 2fer also, but only after a little fiddling. 

Yesterday, I had fletcher-ruminant.

As for SB, I got to QB yesterday, but only after looking at letter distributions for the last few words.  Triton and tortoni were my last two.

Today I am at genius with both pangrams.  It's a long one today! I almost went for GN4L today (lots of long words), but I am so forgetful that I just type words as I see them, lest they slip my mind later.  One of these days...

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and almost genius. I won't be able to look at the puzzle until much later today.

manufacture/ethical

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - last word, after reading the dictionary, was unroof. Is that even a word? I guess it is...

LB - learned a new word with help from the Forum blog fletcher-ruminant. Fooling around I had a 3fer fletch-hafnium-mar and thought "whoah, it took." Also had a 2fer b4ss hafnium-mercantile, lots of 3fers merchant-tuile-eft, cranium-melt-thief, filch-helium-mantra among others, just never came together.

Happy solving.

ETA: Quick 2fer, but SB is going to be a slog...

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Still 7 or so words from QB, but I did get GN4L.  No Alpha yet.  Maybe next time more words will appear.  Unroof was definitely one of my last words.  I am not a fan of that kind of word, like unhat, unhood.  They just seem too inconsistent about what they will allow those kinds of prefixes with.  I think my last two were nutrition, froufrou, and the latter was also final for husband.

Congrats on all the different 2fers yesterday! I had no luck.  I kept seeing circumference, which had way too many letters on the same sides.  I got merchant and came close with a couple others, but nowhere near the schmofficial solution or the others found here.  And congrats on your 2fers today, OneMoreYear, cathwen, and ciao_yall!

Good luck with all the busy days!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Quote from: cathwen on September 08, 2021, 05:51:19 AM
Good morning!

Congratulations on your quick 2fer, OneMoreYear!  I found a 2fer also, but only after a little fiddling. 

Yesterday, I had fletcher-ruminant.

As for SB, I got to QB yesterday, but only after looking at letter distributions for the last few words.  Triton and tortoni were my last two.

Today I am at genius with both pangrams.  It's a long one today! I almost went for GN4L today (lots of long words), but I am so forgetful that I just type words as I see them, lest they slip my mind later.  One of these days...

Happy puzzling!

I feel ya on that one. It's a balance - I find the little short words tend to block the view of longer ones. But then inevitably there is a short word like balm or tapa that I thought was already in there. Oops.

ab_grp

Yay! Got QBABM and 2fer! I didn't think the QB was going to happen but got a bunch of words at the end.

As for the GN4L, I think it helps me because I am lazy and focus on the 4s and don't get anywhere quickly, so focusing on the longer words first helps me make more motivating progress, even if it's a struggle.  Then it's like getting a reward and getting to do all the 4s that come more easily.  And often, then there are very few words left afterward! But it's definitely easier on some puzzles than others.  One thing I do is to use my notepad app and when I get to G I put in how many words I have, how many fours, and the total I should come up with after adding the 4s.  And I make notes in there while entering the 4s if I see any non-4s during that time so I can just enter them after.  You could try this during the GN4L run with listing 4s you find there? Just an idea.  Whatever makes for happy solving, of course!

Langue_doc

Congrats on the QB! Just got a two-fer, without much effort.

ab_grp

Thanks, and congrats on your 2fer, Langue_doc! I wonder if we all have the same solution or not.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on September 08, 2021, 11:00:57 AM
Yay! Got QBABM and 2fer! I didn't think the QB was going to happen but got a bunch of words at the end.

As for the GN4L, I think it helps me because I am lazy and focus on the 4s and don't get anywhere quickly, so focusing on the longer words first helps me make more motivating progress, even if it's a struggle.  Then it's like getting a reward and getting to do all the 4s that come more easily.  And often, then there are very few words left afterward! But it's definitely easier on some puzzles than others.  One thing I do is to use my notepad app and when I get to G I put in how many words I have, how many fours, and the total I should come up with after adding the 4s.  And I make notes in there while entering the 4s if I see any non-4s during that time so I can just enter them after.  You could try this during the GN4L run with listing 4s you find there? Just an idea.  Whatever makes for happy solving, of course!

When I get close to GN4L I sometimes tally how many 4s I can think of and decide if I just want to go for G.

Meanwhile, I was *this close* to QB... AND NOW THE SITE IS DOWN AND I CAN'T FINISH!

Parasaurolophus

I hadn't hit genius yet and was gonna finish, but yeah, down for maintenance.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Typed incite, the last word, saw the QB screen and then the down for maintenance screen. Must have been around midnight or later.

41 words so far, need about 18 points or so,

jockeying/glad

Happy solving, all!

Rain, rain, go away. We've had more than enough to last us all year.

cathwen

Good morning!

I never did get to QB yesterday.  Congratulations on QBABY, ab_grp!  I missed ecotone and tontine; my last word was toonie, which I now know is the term for the Canadian $2 bill.  More words for my Bee list!

Today I am at Beta with the pangram, QB-7.  I was determined to try GN4L, but before I knew it, I had entered a 4L word.  So I did not make GN4L.

As for LB, I had jockeyed-dialing, then saw jockeying-glad.   I have a 2fer today as well.

Langue_doc, I'm a little northeast of NYC.  The rain actually woke me up in the middle of the night, it was coming down so hard.  Now it's just drizzly.  But yes, the Northeast has had enough for a while.  If only we could send it westward!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - toonie? tontine? Okay, 2 new words. GN4L this morning so filled in a bunch of of 4's and now taking a break.

LB - jockeying-glad pretty much on the first try. Very quick 2fer as well.

Langue_doc

tontine and toonie have appeared in more than a couple of bees. I missed it the first time it was in a bee and was quite upset because I knew the word from an Agatha Christie novel where a tontine is the motive for a series of murders.

ETA1 QB! I should be working.

ETA2 Two-fer!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to QBABM again, and husband has only one more word to go, so good luck! And congrats to Langue_doc on your QBABY! I did get to GN4L.  I think toonie was one of my final ones yesterday, but it has been in there several times.  Most of my final ones had to do with continent with various prefixes and suffixes.  I had a bunch of them left at the end, so when I found one I was able to find others and get to QB.  They were long and a lot of points!!  I saw online about the NYT outage, so I'm very sorry to those who were kept from glory because of it!

I also got the schmofficial LB solution yesterday.  Congrats on your 2fers, cathwen, ciao_yall, and Langue_doc! I hope to join you.

And I hope those of you in the rainy zone get some relief and dry weather.  At least it doesn't sound as though the storms were as bad as they were predicted to be.

Happy solving!