News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthefringe

floc-crumbiest yesterday. No joy yet today.

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer! Good luck, onthefringe, and congrats on yesterday's!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (my first word) and genius; not sure if there's a second pangram today.

Last word yesterday was abut.

masterworks/subsist

Found a two-fer already!

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

No 2fers, just a b4ss breakouts-swimsuit and lots of 3fers. GwP yesterday. What on earth is a catboat?

A bit of puzzle time today - going hiking. Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have 3 words left, husband has 4, but we both got to Alpha.  It's a long one, though just one pangram.  Yesterday my final words were kabab, babka, both of which I seem to have trouble seeing for some reason.

For LB I got barium-masterwork.  I kept trying the latter with everything I could think of since it seemed like a good contender.  Glad to finally find a mate! And both of ours are half-different from the schmofficial one, Langue_doc! And congrats on another 2fer today!

Boy, it took me a while to get anywhere in the crossword.  Maybe my worst across-down attempt! But eventually things started to get filled in, and it's done. 

I hope those in the snowy areas are staying in and warm!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Yesterday my last word was catboat (like ciao_yall, I had no idea this was a word).  Before that, it was bucko, which I found by accident.

Today I have five words to go.  It's a sloggy one!

LB:  Yesterday I also had barium-masterwork.. No 2fer yet today, so congratulations, Langue_doc! 

Our blizzard is, so far, just a snowstorm, and not nearly as deep as predicted.  That may change during the day, though. 

Happy puzzling!  And ciao_yall, enjoy your hike!

onthefringe

Congrats to people who are getting somewhere with LB. I seem to have lots of words that use all but 4 letters and no useful pairs!

I am distracted by finding a site that archives all the old wordles and that has a six letter one as well.

Catboats are clearly out fishing for the wily goatfish.

ab_grp

We both finally made it to QBABO, though husband beat me to it.  We had completely different sets of final words.

I totally forgot about catboat! I got to genius with that one, but it was a total flailing guess, just trying any compound words I could come up with.  Husband had found it earlier in his bee quest and said after that it had been in there before and that we had looked it up.  We looked it up again.  It's a sailboat with one mast and one sail.  I wondered if it were related to catamaran, but that apparently has two hulls.

Quote from: onthefringe on January 29, 2022, 12:24:34 PM
I am distracted by finding a site that archives all the old wordles and that has a six letter one as well.

Thanks! I hadn't seen this one but had been using https://www.devangthakkar.com/wordle_archive/.  I like some of the features of each.  In particular, I love that the one you listed keeps track of your number of guesses and whether you solve each puzzle.  And I can't wait to try a 6-letter puzzle! I think Sam Ezersky posted about this one (Dordle): https://zaratustra.itch.io/dordle  You have two solve two words at the same time.  I just tried it out without instructions and figured it out pretty quickly, but it looks daunting at first.

As for LB, I have a tone of contenders, lots of them promising, and no luck! Sounds as though we are in similar boats, onthefringe, though one of us may be in a catboat and the other a catamaran.  ;-)

cathwen

Congratulations on QBABY, ab_grp!  I finally got to QB, but it took a long time to find the last word.

After much frustration and gnashing of teeth, I finally got a 2fer.  The second word is obscure, something I tried just for the heck of it.  But at least it's a 2fer.

The snow has mostly stopped, but I guess Massachusetts and Maine are getting hit pretty hard.  I'd say that we have somewhere between 4-6", but it is still very windy. 

ab_grp

Congrats on your QBABY and 2fer, cathwen! I'm still working on LB, so good to know that a solution may be obtained with the use of an obscure word.  I hope you get to enjoy the snow!

Parasaurolophus

GWP yesterday, not close today.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Husband and I each have one word left, different lengths.  Yesterday I think cootie, octet were my final words.  I hope you have better luck today, Parasaurolophus!

No luck on LB despite many contenders and help from husband! I had vampiric among them, at least, but I never saw chameleon at all.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

I think I just have about 10 points left for QB.

Last words yesterday were niece and nice.

vampiric/chameleon; found vampire and vampiric right away and then looked for mates.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Ugh, just AwP yesterday - Parasaurolophus - you and me both. I missed a lot of pretty obvious words. Got started in the morning then never really picked up after that.

And a few 3fers including vamp-phonic-clear. In the neighborhood.

Let's see what today brings!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Cootie was my last word yesterday, found with a 2-letter hint after much frustration.  As for today, I am at QB-2.

As for LB, I had microphone-elvan.  The second word, as you might guess, was tried just for the heck of it.  Turns out it's a kind of igneous rock found in Cornwall.

However, no LB luck for me today!  Another tough series of letters. 

Happy puzzling!